Luckily I don't give up too easily on finding a bread recipe that is perfect. That doesn't mean this didn't taste good...it means I haven't found the recipe that I know will be a favorite.
The process for this one took a total of 3 hours...not bad.
To make two loaves you'll need the following.........
1 package active dry yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
5 1/2 cups all purpose flour or bread flour (I used a combo of both)
1 tablespoon salt
Grated zest of lemon
2 cups warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
3 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup chopped herbs (any combo of parsley, oregano, dill, chives, mint...whatever you want)
1. Sprinkle yeast and pinch of brown sugar over warm water in a small bowl. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Combine 1 cup flour, remaining brown sugar, salt and zest in large bowl. Add 2 cups warm water, yeast and butter and mix with a whisk. Beat hard for two minutes or until smooth. Add herbs and remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon until dough becomes stiff.
3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl, turning dough once to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about an hour and half.
4. Gently deflate dough and turn onto lightly floured surface to divide into two loaves. Shape and place on two greased or parchment lined pans. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for 40 minutes.
5. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 45 minutes, or until nicely brown and fragrance is filling kitchen. Cool on racks before slicing and eating.
This is from the book entitled Bread by Beth Hensperger, page 57.
I look forward to trying some of the other recipes in this book. Practice, practice, practice!
Friday was Doug's birthday . On birthdays we enjoy a good meal and plan a few fun activities. The weather has improved (no storms !...
Happy Friday to you all! This is my first evening of vacation. Unfortunately our plans to visit Cedar Key were cancelled for the second ye...
Happy Friday!!! I know anyone who works a Monday - Friday job is happy to see this day arrive. Looking forward to all sorts of fun thin...