Monday, December 28, 2009

Apple Raisin Bars for Magazine Monday

Apple-Raisin Bars





One of the perks of Autumn and Winter is the abundance of apples at the market. There is so much you can do with apples in cooking. I actually have an apple cookbook which features many different types of apples to be used in desserts and as ingredients in main meals.

When I was growing up we had two huge apple trees in the back yard, sentries at either end of my mother’s vegetable garden.



She was the June Cleaver kinda mom who would grow the food and then make amazing meals. When she picked the apples we were sure to enjoy a homemade pie, freshly stewed applesauce, and one of my favorites – apple bars.


When I came across this recipe in an old Family Circle magazine I clipped it and filed it away. That was a year ago and it just surfaced. Don’t ask……..

Only 15 minutes of prep (barring any unfortunate accidents such as throwing chickpeas in the flour, I wrote about here), gather the following ingredients………


2 cups all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 ¼ teaspoons cinnamon

½ teaspoon salt

2 cups packed light-brown sugar

2 eggs

½ cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 ½ cups died Golden Delicious apple

¾ cup raisins


Heat oven to 350 degrees. Liberally coat a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with non stick cooking spray.

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.



In a large bowl blend together sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla with a mixer. I would use medium speed. Blend 3 minutes until smooth.

Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture; mix for 2 minutes or until incorporated.



Get your diced apples and raisins ready......



Stir in diced apples and raisins



Then spread into prepared pan.




Bake at 350 for 35 minutes
or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before cutting into bars.



They were wonderfully cinnamony, appley, warm treats that i will surely be making again! I'm sorry it took me so long to make these.



I think they may even have been good with the chickpeas!

Ok, don't forget the giveaway for the steamed British pudding booklet from a few days ago. Check it out! I have found two more books that are going to be leaving my shelve :-)

13 comments:

  1. Recipes that bring on fond childhood memories are always the best. I can see why you enjoy these apple raisin bars.

    Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. they sound terrific... thanks for this recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The oldies are the best ones aren't they Tina?! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our apple trees produced quite a bit of fruit this year, even though they are still pretty small. I can remember my mom making something similar to these with apples from her trees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love apple desserts. Those look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Velva - Happy New years to you - lets hope it doesn't rain. It's really cold here now...brrrr.

    Year on the Grill - Thank you. By the way, I tried to leave you a comment the other day - love the story about how you and your wife met!

    Creampuff - I agree, love the oldies...

    Janel - Do you make applesauce? There is just so much you can do with apples.

    Poppyseed - that's for swinging by and your nice comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love raisins and apples in just about anything!

    happy new year Tina!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jannet - Thank you!

    MonicaJane - Happy new year to you also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love those recipes that remind you of your childhood! The apple raisin bars sound delicious. I could easily be talked into eating them as part of a healthy breakfast :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........