Monday, November 08, 2010

Real Simple: Sausage with warm Tomatoes and Hash Browns

First off, I would like to thank Roz at La Bella Vita for becoming a follower of my blog!


It's Pub Fare..........it's simple. Real Simple....



This book was at the local library....I own one of The Real Simple cookbooks but this one had some recipes I have not tried before.



We like sausage.



Ingredients...........

4 TB Butter
1 pound (roughly) of Russet Potatoes, coarsely grated
1 onion, coarsely grated
½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
2 TB olive oil

Sausage (the recipe called for 12 sweet Italian sausages but I used larger Bratwurst)

Tomatoes – You can use cherry tomatoes or fat vine-ripened tomatoes

Are you ready for easy?! Divide up your dinner duties here.

Hands on time: 25 minutes / Total Time 40 Minutes


I grabbed two frying pans. Doug made Bloody Marys.



Melt the butter in a frying pan and add potato and onion, cooking until softened. Add salt and pepper to taste and get them nicely browned.

If you use a spatula you can press the potatoes into the pan, making a good crust. Notice my potatoes look like rice? That is because I used a ricer after cooking them....such a creamy texture. Try it!



Meanwhile, heat the oil in a second frying pan or skillet. Prick your sausages with a fork, cook, turning them over every few minutes. This will take about 15 minutes.

Pour off all but a few tablespoons of fat from the sausage pan. Add tomatoes. Cook, tossing around the pan occasionally.




Brenda’s Canadian Kitchen hosts Cookbook Sundays.............grab a Bloody Mary and go see what others have prepared...better yet, join in!

Cookbook Sundays Badge

Enjoy!



17 comments:

  1. I guess we are all in a 'quick and easy' mood lately. I try to find meals that are easy and tasty. Yours entered my list the moment I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katerina - You won't be sorry. This is good comfort food and mostly healthy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tina, this reminds me a bit of bangers and mash, just without the gravy, and that happens to be my favourite pub food. A perfect meal for a fall night. Thank you so much for sharing this with Cookbook Sundays. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loe your post because we do love our sausage. Our favourite Saturday night supper. And with that drink even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina - Love the pic of you standing in your kitchen with a bloody mary! I'm loving the real simple theme here. Things are so busy here lately that I need some simple recipes in my life. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers! Yum, I love Real Simple...and this sounds like a perfect meal...'specially w/ the bloody mary ;) Delicious, thanks so much for sharing it with the hearth and soul hop this week, too Tina!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we like sausage too and your potatoes would be a great side - I think I may go out and get a ricer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! And this post makes me think I need to teach my husband to make me Bloody Mary's while I cook. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. If that's pub food save me a seat at the bar...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brenda – It reminded me of bangers and mash also, a very comforting dish. I am very much enjoying your Cookbook Sunday series!

    Rita – Oh yes….it’s a good one for a Saturday evening supper. Beer is a good pairing too :-)

    Kim – It’s going to get crazier girl…with Thanksgiving and Christmas on the heels of that. Grab some comfort food.

    Heather – I was hoping that fit the theme with Hearth and Soul! Cheers to you too. Oh, I will be on the ball this month for Food n Flix. Promise.

    Drick – the ricer makes so much difference I texture. Amazing.

    Jenna- Thanks for the nice comment Oh yes, definitely do split up the kitchen duties and get your man to fix one of the essential accompaniments!

    Julie – I sure will, and I’ll grab you a glass too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect quick & easy meal - actually sausages and mash is one of my favourite, "no time, no brainer" meals. Lovely that you divided up the cooking duties appropriately - that's good planning that is :-)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sausages + anything work for me! I must use my ricer more ... great idea for a new potato side dish :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sue - It was good planning, even if last minute...haha

    Jo - I am thinking of using the ricer on sweet potatoes next time. That should look pretty. Are you thinking of blogging again? New year's resolution...hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........