Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen by Jacques Pepin
{Serving up Tomato Mozzarella Salad with Capers}

Apprentice
This is one of the most engaging memoirs I have read in a long time. I didn’t know anything about Jacques Pepin’s personal life, his childhood or training in the culinary industry. After reading this book I know so much about him and enjoyed each and every chapter. The funniest story, ok it was a little gross too, was about the calf’s heads. Actually there were many amusing stories in this book so it’s hard to pick just one. Sometimes memoirs can be dry, a bit on the boring side. Not this one. I found myself reading some passages aloud to my husband.



As a child he worked in his mother’s restaurants and loved the hectic pace. His younger brother Bichon was the same way while older brother Roland felt it was slavery. As Jacques moved to an apprentice position in his first real job you learned how the new kid was “initiated” by running a fool’s errand for the chef. He was sent off to a neighboring restaurant to get a heavy kitchen appliance where it had supposedly been loaned. Oh no, they had loaned it to another restaurant and so, off he ran. He was sent on to other places until he secured the item, making his way back across the village with a heavy load strapped to his back. It was just a load of bricks but it showed the drive and initiative of the young apprentice.



As he gained more experience he moved to larger restaurants and more responsibility. Learning to cook by observing and making a dish over and over and over was the teaching method. No recipes, no measurements.

The most surprising thing to me was he was in on the ground floor of Howard Johnson’s restaurants learning to reproduce good quality food that would be consistent in any of the HJ restaurants. He turned down a chance to work as a white house chef under the Kennedy administration to pursue his initial (American) career at HoJos. The standards were higher back then and you didn't get sub-quality foods. That changed over the years, particularly after Howard Deering Johnson died. Subsequent owners concerned themselves with cutting costs at the expensive of good dining.



Reading about the differences in French and American cultures as seen through young Pepin’s eyes was interesting. Can you imagine being mocked for asking a question in a college class? That was another good chapter where Pepin saw a startling difference between the two nations. Showing up for a dinner and patiently awaiting the bread and wine to arrive, only to realize the American hosts were tucking into their roast beef, potatoes and carrots without a thought of wine. Many more examples are detailed and I don’t want to ruin some of these stories for anyone who has not read the book.

You'll meet Pierre Franey, Craig Claiborne and Julia Child in this book and hear of their good times and business involvements. You’ll learn about hunting wild mushrooms, his military service, working for de Gaulle and his first experiences arriving in America.

Recipes follow each chapter so there are many to select and drool over. French cooking doesn’t have to be complicated. Any of the French cookbooks have call for absolute simplicity and this is what Pepin delivers.

This was the Cook the Books Club June/July selection with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen hosting. Great choice!

cookthebooks


Semi-Dry Tomatoes and Mozzarella Salad

1 ½ pounds plum tomatoes (about 6) cut lengthwise into halves
¾ teaspoon salt
10 ounces mozzarella cheese, cut into ½ inch slices
2 tablespoons drained capers
½ teaspoon ground pepper
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
½ teaspoon grated lemon rind
About 1 cup loose basil leaves

Method

Preheat oven to 250 F. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Arrange tomato halves cut side up on the sheet and sprinkle ½ teaspoon of the salt on top. Bake 4 hours. For a shortcut you can heat the oven up to 400 F and put the tomatoes in then turn off the oven. I do this as an overnight method sometimes.

Now remove tomatoes from the oven and place in a serving bowl. Let them cool then add mozzarella, capers, remaining salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil and lemon rind. Mix gently to combine.

Drop basil leaves into boiling water and cook about 10 seconds. Drain and cool under cold running water. Press basil between your palms to remove most of the water, then chop finely. Add to salad and toss well.

The next selection over at Cook the Books Club is A Thousand Days in Venice by Marlena De Blasi and the host is Debra at Eliots's Eats. Join in, it will be good food and reading.


jacquesJulia

15 comments:

  1. That looks lovely and I also wonder about it as "slightly cooked" and therefore oozy after the flavours had mixed. I am dribbling T - doesn't take a lot, I know!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jo, it was oozy with flavor, a great starter course. Wish you could have joined in. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that book! your review really captured the charm and unique experience of j.p.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review Tina--I am so glad you enjoyed it! I kept going back to this gorgeous salad in the book and I do plan on making it some time soon. I just can't resist those capers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me Travels- thank you so much. It was a very good foodie memoir. So many wonderful stories,

    Deb, great choice for this round of Cook the Books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tina!
    I have been a huge fan of Jacques Pepin for many years. I still catch him on PBS every now and again. His style is charmingly unique:)

    I haven't read this book yet. Your review is so persuading, I really need to read it. I do have a few of his books though and I just adore his recipe simplicity.

    I'll remember this recipe for sure. As a matter of fact, I'm going to include it in my comment section of my tomato post. Thank you so much for sharing, Tina...Excellent choice, Deb...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The addition of capers makes a fantastic classic salad even more scrumptious. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Louise, you will love this book. It was hard to put down. Do try this recipe since you have soooo many tomatoes!

    Thank you, Rachel, I appreciate that. The capers did add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really enjoy all kinds of memoirs, food ones in particular, and this sounds like one I would really enjoy reading. Love the dish you created too - great combination of ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sue! I will save a dish for you. You are always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I chose the caprese salad too. Great minds LOL. I thought that this was a great pick for the book this month and I am looking forward to next months selection.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great discussion about the book, Tina. I was surprised how much I was laughing throughout as well. I think the funniest story was the rubber-banded lobster story. Excellent looking salad btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so right that the best dishes are simple in preparation. Being summer here in Delaware tomatoes are on my plate every day. Thanks for this recipe -- Cathy from Delaware Girl Eats

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed that calves' heads story as well, could just picture it :) eek. And, want to try this salad very soon. It has been so hot and humid lately, plus we're expecting a hurricane tomorrow. Or, the near miss as usually happens here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........