Saturday, October 25, 2014

Crocheting again

Recently I've revived my interest in crocheting. I honestly don’t know why I stopped….maybe it was my total immersion in genealogy projects and sorting through mounds of census. Puzzles intrigue me and researching family history certainly provides mysteries to be solved.

Then, reading through my favorite websites each week I watch with envy as Lucy produces all these wonderful crocheted throws, blankets and clothes. Check her out at The Pie Patch!




My Nana taught me how to crochet but that was over 35 years ago. She very patiently sat with me and showed me how to do the stitches, it seemed easy. I need visuals when learning so I turned to You Tube and children’s books.



Face it…if a craft book is geared toward children it is usually super simple, easy directions with many illustrations as examples. This is such a book. I’m not ashamed to say it helped me immensely.


Now my stitches are more uniform. I figured out one problem was not counting my stitches properly. That makes for a crooked mess. When you want to hear, “Oh, what a lovely blanket” but instead you hear “What on earth is that?” well………you know you need help!

The plan here is make several squares in complimentary colors then stitch them together. A patch work throw……I think it will be pretty. After I get used to the single chain I will move on to double, then triple and hopefully a beauty of a Tunisian stitch!

It's not crooked as the photo appeared, just my angle taking the shot :-)



If you are like me and need to see someone crochet this link at You Tube is wonderful. Otherwise, check out a children's book - it helped me immensely.

Soon I will have more rows accomplished and show you my end project. I hope.

10 comments:

  1. So wish I had paid attention when my grandmothers tried to teach me.....I am fast approaching a time when my crocheted dish cloths and pot holders that they made are wearing thin.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's never too late, Debra. I am sort of starting over. Still don't know how to read patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the 'idea' of crocheting and knitting. But I REALLY love when someone does it for me (hint hint... LOL)
    I'm glad you are having fun doing it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joanne, I have made progress`since posting those photos.

    Debbie, I haven't done this is in a while, it's fun. Let me get some practice in before I try and make you one!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marion has never, ever used a pattern Tina and she makes some really cool stuff. I wish I had the patience to let her teach me but I have so many things I still want to do. (I was having lots of fun playing with polymer clay for a while there:)

    I'm so glad you are back to crocheting. I bet having a new baby in the family is just one incentive, lol...Have fun with it Tina. I can't wait until you share...

    Which reminds me, I need to ask Marion to make me fingerless gloves. It's getting so cold out...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I could do that, Louise, make other things besides blankets without a pattern. I plan to learn though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........