Beating the Lunchbox Blues

This is a cool little book that gives you ideas for lunches from leftovers. Ok, that sounds like a no-brainer....you just cook extra food or take what ever is left, right?



That's an obvious plan and one we practice quite a bit. But this book will assist with some other ideas for combining leftover meats and/or vegetables to make a completely different dish. There is a bit of humor in the book and I like that. The author talks about the packed lunches he made for his children and the questions and comments they had about his taking photos of their lunch. A different perspective.

What we did with a roasted chicken was make two different meals for lunches during the work week. Some of the leftover chicken was chunked and put into a gumbo. Now this is a hearty lunch for cold weather. Tastes good too :-)




Here is another dish. Behold a chicken and rice dish with extra broth to keep it moist. I added a wee bit of BBQ sauce to mine.



We have leftovers 98% of the time. Saves money and it's a healthier alternative to restaurant food.

What sort of lunches do you pack during the week?

9 comments:

Mae Travels said...

I can't identify those fuzzy green things in your gumbo... please help?

Using leftovers creatively is really a skill.

Tina said...

Hi Mae! The green blobs are breaded okra. They give a crispy texture to the gumbo. I just toss them on top of a brimming bowl 😊

Debbie said...

We are so bad at using up leftovers! I could use a book like this to help me out.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

With just my hubby and I at home we usually have leftovers and I have learned to be quite creative - one days ham may be pea soup the next day, or left over grilled chicken becomes soup or stir fry :)

Tina said...

Debbie, I don't toss very much and can usually find a use for leftovers! Soups or casseroles work well.

Sheila, that's great! It's thrifty too!

Anonymous said...

I love a tumbledown lunch recipe - make leftovers out of the leftovers so nothing is wasted.
Interesting article in yesterday's Guardian Food though - what to do from the local corner shop if you forgot lunch completely! http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/food-and-drink/all
I read the article when you came on my travels to London this weekend ;o)

Mrs L

Anonymous said...

Ah here is the actual article - http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/series/the-lunch-box

The last one made me smile!

Tina said...

Thanks for the link, off to read it now! Love your London journey, great photos 😃

Le laquet said...

London was great T - we walked in the sunshine, drank ale, ate really good food in awesome places! Loved it!!!

Lime and Ginger Salmon with Coconut Rice

The word stalker tends to bring up alarming images so it's probably good not describe yourself as such.  But I have to say, stalking a g...