Monday, October 12, 2015

Nigella Lawson.......She is the star this week at I ♥ Cooking Club

One of my very favorite kitchen goddesses is Nigella Lawson. I love her. I don’t think we could be true friends because I just know I’d make a horrible first impression. I would probably stand in front of her gob-smacked, looking like an idiot, mouth hanging open unattractively for enough time that she’d turn on her perfect heel and walk away.

Duh….I should prepare for that moment in case we decide to spend a summer in London and manage to wrangle an invitation to one of her parties.

As it happens the I Heart Cooking Club is featuring Nigella Lawson this week! I am participating with an old favorite from her book Nigella Express. Maple Chicken and Ribs.

IMG_4424

Easy as it gets tossing this one together. Everything marinates in a bag overnight for two nights. Toss all ingredients into a roasting pan at 400 F for an hour to an hour and half.

If you can get baby back ribs those are amazing. This recipe works with St Louis style ribs…any rib cut but we find the baby back are super good.

Ingredients
1 cup apple cider or juice, as sharp as possible
¼ cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
6 unpeeled garlic cloves
½ teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (optional)
8 pork spareribs
6 chicken thighs with skin and bone

FullSizeRender (7)


I am looking forward to seeing what Nigella inspired dish other folks submit. Join us! It’s never too late to hook up with the group at I Heart Cooking Club.

I'm also hooking up with Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking Series.

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

19 comments:

  1. This sounds amazing! I love Nigella's recipes and this is one of my favorite books but I haven't used it in awhile. Thanks for the reminder to pull this old favorite out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey lady! Nigella is at the top of my list. You just can't help but love her:) I remember making this one and it was not only easy, but a total favorite. An amazing dinner for sure!

    How have you been? How's the baby? I've been ok. Back to work in an elementary school and loving it. Hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's my fav of her books, Katherine. We use it lots.

    Kim, nice to see you! I am already planning my Ellie recipe coming up. The baby is a year and a half now, running around everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tina! Great seeing you again! :D

    My baby is two and running around too. Sometimes my cooking is disrupted by his antics. Haha!

    Hope to see you with Ellie's recipes soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tina,
    Oooh, that looks good! I have this book too, and really love it! Have made lots of delicious recipes from it, but have not made this yet! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh Tina! I've never tried that recipe! Looks delicious 😍

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Joyce! I have my planned dish nd hope it works out.

    Super easy, Mrs. L. We have it quite a bit,

    ReplyDelete
  8. This recipe features all my favorite flavors and looks so easy. The hardest part for me would be remembering to start the marinating two days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Nigella too! I'm pretty sure I have that book but I know I haven't made those ribs. I'll mark the recipe as a must-try. Love these kind of meals in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Am definitely going to try this! It will be my first Nigella recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love ribs and those look really good! Don't think I've ever read one of her books but I'll see if my library has one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chicken and ribs marinaded together. Fab idea. Pinning to give it a try. Thhanks! Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh YUM, my mouth is watering. Love Nigella's recipes too, pinning this one to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this one looks great. I'm pinning it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I adore Nigella too, but I think you underestimate yourself - I have no doubt that you and she would get along famously if you were ever fortunate enough to meet. Of course, you that in that event I would be insanely jealous - of both of you!!

    That aside, this looks like a great dish - I love the simplicity of it (typical Nigella), and I bet it tastes insanely good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's always a pleasure to see you Tina! This looks like the perfect dish for fall and an excellent example of Nigella's comfort food.

    I love Nigella Express too--so many great recipes in it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What goes into the bag sounds amazing. I'm sure what comes out is even better. A great technique to try my hands on. Good recipe selection!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like you, I'm crazy over Nigella and her kind of food. That is definitely my kind of thing. I have made this before too and absolutely love the taste of this dish. Yours look fabulously delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. ribs and chicken are our favorite family gathering fare. I will HAVE to try marinating the meat like Nigella next time.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........