Sunday, November 13, 2016

Gumbo for a cool Autumn evening

You know what I am already tired of hearing about and reading about? This past election. Wow, such vitriolic language on both sides.  Looking at my social media was enjoyable before November 12th but I think I'll take a break from it all. Maybe a few weeks....we'll see.

That being said, one of the things I do like are the autumn temperatures and a good bowl of gumbo. Nothing like a warming meal when the temps get cooler.  So that's what I am going to talk about now.

img_8486


In the past I was eating sausage but now that I'm not consuming any porcine products, I have substituted a TVP (textured vegetable protein) to accommodate our vegetarian menus. Here is a photo of one sausage, prior to being cut up, so you can see the ingredients. We also had a homemade French bread for sopping up the lovely juices.

img_8484

Here is my version of an old recipe, making it vegetarian friendly.

Gumbo, Vegetarian Style

* 1 package of vegetarian sausages (I used MorningStar brand)
* 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
* 2 carrots, finely diced
* 1 large onion, finely diced
* 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
* 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 16-oz can of diced tomatoes
*  1/2 stick unsalted butter
* 1/4 cup flour
* Almost 16 ounces of vegetable broth
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tablespoon honey
* Roughly 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined

Crispy Okra:

* Canola oil
* 1/2 pound okra, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
* 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Or: buy a breaded okra in the frozen section.  That's way easier.

Directions

Heat a medium skillet over high heat.  Heat olive oil and cook the celery, onion, carrots, bell pepper and garlic until soft.  Now add a half stick of butter and coat the veggies.  Sprinkle on the flour mixture and turn gently with a spoon.   Now slowly add the broth and it will thicken up nicely.

Tip in the can of tomatoes, shrimp and veggie sausages.

Note: You could also add oysters and scallops.

For the Crispy Okra:

Heat 2-inches of canola oil in a high sided saute pan over medium heat until it begins to shimmer. Line a baking sheet with paper towels. Place the cornmeal in a shallow baking dish and season with salt and pepper.

Season the okra with salt and pepper and toss in the cornmeal. Fry the okra, in batches, until golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon to the baking sheet and season with salt.

We cooked a big pot of rice and when everything was ready, place a good bit of rice in a bowl, then ladle the gumbo over the rice. Top with crunchy fried okra.


I will be joining Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series. The linkup for this week may be found HERE

SouperSundays




6 comments:

  1. Looks good! If I decide to try this I'll substitute the shrimp for more sausage. I only like baked or fried shrimp. I love okra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made a huge pot of shrimp and rabbit paella #delicious
    I think people have been shocked over the election outpouring

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half my comment disappeared. I've never had gumbo ... one day

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good hearty gumbo, especially on a cool fall night. I like your meat-free version--thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicki, it was a good hearty meal, we finally have some cool weather in the evenings so this was perfect. I like okra too!

    Mrs. L, I don't believe I have ever had a paella with rabbit. I like the seafood versions but there was this one Curtis Stone chicken and sausage paella that was amazingly good. Gumbo is fairly easy, you'd enjoy making it.

    Deb, I was happy to share and look forward to visiting the other participants this week. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know I've never been a gumbo fan. I don't know if it's the okra or what exactly but I've just never liked it. I do really like the crispy element with the fried okra. I think that would make it a more interesting bite. I'm avoiding social media - especially Facebook right now. It's just better that way!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........