Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Birthday Roundup

Last weekend was fun.  But any time off is fun even if you don't have big plans.  I celebrated another birthday and it was perfect, even though I had to work half a day.  My boss let me go early so I got home in time to make a fresh loaf of bread for dinner.  Nothing like hot fresh bread!

My dear friend Mary Margaret sent me this wonderful candle for my birthday.  Since we spend as much time as we can sitting outside for meals, this will be well used.  I didn't even notice it spelled out my name until we had it lit on the table. Thoughtful and creative gift!


candle

Since I picked the menu I went with an international theme.  Cuban Mojitos, sushi, fresh bread, cheeses and fresh strawberries.   The refreshing Mojitos went very well with sushi - especially when you get too much wasabi on a salmon roll.

IMG_9680 IMG_9678

Strawberries are in season here and they are juicy, nice and sweet.   Great evening, meal and company. We sat outside and waited for the foxes to come by and eat, plugged in the patio lights and lit candles.

IMG_0500

That's one of my favorite things to do in the evening - just sit outside, listen to the birds, watch the wildlife and chat with my thoughtful husband.   We make retirement plans, weekend plans, sip our drinks and give Aja treats.  Life is good.

 Sharing with with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.


20 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - many happy returns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! What a wonderful meal! I love the international aspect of it. The candles are lovely and such a thoughtful gift. I like you description of sitting outside. It sounds absolutely lovely and so peaceful. I need to focus on more time to do that as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Katherine . It can be so relaxing sitting outside. You ought to plan a meal outside, I recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! And what a delicious meal... I especially love your sentence "We make retirement plans, weekend plans, sip our drinks and give Aja treats" I'm hoping we can say the same thing very soon... but substitute "Zelda" for "Aja" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't even know about your birthday, sorry I missed it! Looks like a yummy meal, especially the strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks JoAnn and Vicki - it's usually a low-key affair for celebrations and I love the ones at home the best!

    Zelda has a buddy named Angus, right, JoAnn?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a perfect way to spend an evening!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds like a delightful evening! Happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It surely was, Jackie. Perfect evening.
    Thanks, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration- happy belated birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like a perfect and delicious night!
    Happy Belated Birthday, my friend!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw somewhere a few days ago the date of your birthday. It's the same as my daughter's. Again, sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday! Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, ladies, I appreciate the good wishes. We had fun but when we sit outside, we usually do. Sushi was a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. We enjoy the same kinds of evenings. Lovely, lovely. What a great dinner and I love that candle holder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday-looks like a fun celebration

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks like you had a Happy one! Hope the remainder of the year goes as well. Who made the sushi? It all looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you, BFR.

    Claudia, the sushi is made at a grocery stire, Publix. They hire sushi chefs to make trays of it, you can watch them work on it. It's very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great menu for your birthday dinner. I agree that nothing beats sitting on the porch towards evening listening to the birds, sipping mojitos and some quiet time with hubby!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........