Friday, July 07, 2017

Gyros and Herb Roasted Potatoes - How a lunch out inspired a good dinner

Hello and happy first week of July! We took a bit of time off and it was so nice. Five full days off and we made the most of it. When we were out running errands the lunch options were a bit limited, if you want to keep it healthy.

 Well, we found a Greek restaurant with very good food and healthy options.  Tazikis  offers a nice wine selection as well as desserts to compliment the hearty entrees.  This gyro was absolutely packed with lettuce, tomatoes, grilled onions, chicken and Taziki sauce.  For my side dish I chose the roasted new potatoes.

Gyro

The potatoes were so good we decided we had to duplicate them at home.  A few nights later we did.  Well, not exactly as I think I used a bit too much in seasonings and herbs.  I would cut back next time but these were just about as good as the ones at Tazikis.

What do you think?  These potatoes do look like the ones at the restaurant!

potat1


Along with the potatoes we had grilled salmon with soy and sea salt, broccoli and wine.  A bowl of fresh strawberries, homemade bread and ooey cheese completed the meal.  I love eating at home!  You get so much more bang for the buck!

potat3

This meal paired very well with a crisp Sancerre.  This is a 2015 French wine with only 13% alcohol.  The Claude Riffault label states only a small amount was imported.  It was good and I might want to buy it again but at $26 a bottle, we may try a different one next time.

potat2

So now I'm hungry, looking at these photos again!  Hope your 4th of July was good.

Linking up to Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday and with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.
.

SouperSundays

12 comments:

  1. Sancerre is a favorite of ours. I love its crisp fruit taste. I'm sure it was great with your delicious-looking dinner. Inspiration from restaurants is a great thing!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I'm hungry!!! The potatoes look fabulous!!! Glad you got to take some time off:) Thanks for sharing, Tina...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mae. We enjoyed it very much!
    Louise, any time off is appreciated, can't wait for full retirement. Traveling and eating.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, too would prefer to cook at home rather than go out. I love experimenting.

    We had lots of strawberries this week also.

    We used to live in Greektown here in Toronto, in the east end. Now that we live in the west end we hardly ever go back there.
    Your potatoes look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to try to recreate great meals I've had in restaurants. Those potatoes look amazing. We've been grilling a lot of little potatoes this summer, too. Will try this spice blend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with you -- I'd much rather cook and eat at home. That wine sounds delicious, I might see if I can get here. I love Greek food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and just like the restaurant potatoes. I agree, although restaurants are nice on occasion, nothing beats a great meal at home.

    Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eating out can be inspiring. We can even do it better! Healthier at least. Looks like you did a fine job re-creating those potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! Both look good. I love potatoes even though I try not to eat them very often because of the carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely nosh. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love roasted potatoes, and yours looked wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those potatoes look amazing! We have a Tazikis but I'm not sure we've ever eaten there though we love Greek food. We're having to make some changes because J's sugar levels came back pre-diabetic and I'm really trying to focus on simpler foods that have more flavor than fats and sugars. I bet I could replicate that gyro without the pita pretty easily too!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........