Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Birthday dinner - Crab cakes, cheese grits, champagne and a lovely evening!


bday1
Friday was Doug's birthday.  On birthdays we enjoy a good meal and plan a few fun activities.  The weather has improved (no storms !) but was a bit too hot to eat outside.  It's always nice when you can sit on the patio and eat, watch the birds and foxes.

bday3

As always, the birthday person plans the dinner the menu.  We are both a fan of crab cakes so this was the indulgence. They are rich and you shouldn't have them too often.

These are easy to put together and a treat to enjoy with cheese grits. The recipe for the crab cakes may be found HERE.  They are tried and true, never let me down. Great with cheese grits.

The cheese grits are a specialty of Doug's and he has them on the table in 5 minutes.   Lots of cheddar, ooey gooey melty cheese grits.

For an accompaniment I made a tomato, cucumber and avocado salad.

bday2

Let's not forget the remoulade sauce.  It's rich too but I have to say, a sip of champagne after a bite of crab and sauce is wonderful marriage. The Piper Heidsieck is an extra dry, something we don't see too often at the grocery store.

Early Sunday we were able to take a short ride and get lunch at a rural diner called The Apalachee.  I love rural dining establishments....simple country food like fried chicken and greens and dressing.

So, two good meals, a ride in the country and spending time together.  If the skies were clear and it wasn't so awfully hot in the evenings he would have taken a telescope out too.

Overall a nice birthday weekend. I sure enjoyed it!

Sharing with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series and Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday event.  Check out her link HERE

13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! We just celebrated two birthdays this week in my family, my mom's and my daughter's. THe crabcakes look great, I always love those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, AGC, we sure enjoyed a quiet weekend and spending time together. Happy birthday to your mother and daughter too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Belated Birthday to Doug! I'm adding the crab cake recipe to my "Nom" folder.

    I love cheese grits but my son doesn't. He can eat something else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Vicki, I will tell him. Absolutely, your son can eat something else cause cheese grits are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to Doug! It looks like a wonderful birthday dinner. I like crab cakes too and I think I would eat a shoe if it had enough remoulade sauce on it! My favorite condiment by far. It sounds like champagne was a perfect pairing. Good fried chicken sounds amazing right now. I had some a few weeks ago and it looked like it was going to be good but it wasn't. Is there anything more disappointing than bad fried chicken?

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a wonderful birthday celebration and thanks for sharing the recipes! Happy Birthday

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday to Doug! I cook whatever my husband requests on his birthday, but we always go out for my birthday (he's not much of cook).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday to Doug!

    It looks like a fabulous birthday meal. I have been especially craving crab cakes lately. Those cheese grits look decadent and delicious and the salad is perfect to break up all that richness a bit. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Beth, we go out for my birthday, and Bob gets his favorite on his - meatloaf! Sounds like Doug had a perfect one, and my kind of meal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One classic point of view is that champagne goes with everything. But with crabcakes and remoulade sauce ... perfection, I bet!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Champagne and crab - fab! Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you lol for the nice comments and for stopping by, it's appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........