Friday, October 27, 2017

Homemade Potato Soup and Croutons

Slowly but surely I will get a few photos uploaded of our time at the bay side.  But today, I wanted to share a homemade potato soup and croutons. Perfect for cool weather, I highly recommend it.

  IMG_0547

I made homemade croutons and these were smashing in the soup.

There was a bit of leftover French loaf I made two days ago so I slather up two pieces with butter, crammed a bit of cheese in and made a rustic grilled cheese sandwich.

The ticket to success is letting this cool before cutting it into croutons. We were too hungry to wait :-)

  IMG_0545

Potato Soup 

14 ounces of Yukon Gold potatoes, chopped
1 TB butter
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 small onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups milk
1 cup vegetable broth
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Simply boil the potatoes for 15 minutes until soft.  Drain and mash with a large spoon.  You will want some chunks in there.

Melt butter then add the onion, garlic and celery.  10 minutes should make then soft but not browned.  Add potatoes, milk and broth.  Add seasonings.  Simmer until it's the thickness you'd like.

I made this from a recipe in the Cottage Cookbook, one I had just received in the mail. Of course I adapted it a bit, I always do.   It's a lovely book.  I reviewed it Novel Meals.

IMG_0544

I am linking up with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series.  Linkup may be found  HERE.  Join in, it's fun to share!

FullSizeRender (5)

7 comments:

  1. I love homemade potato soup. My recipe is a bit different and I haven't made it in a long time. Now I'm craving it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, I hope you post yours too. Link up with Deb’s Souper Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Potato Soup is one of my very favorites and this one with the homemade croutons looks delectable.

    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Deb. We enjoyed it so much I made it again only a day later. It's getting chilly here so it was perfect for a warming lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! I love potato soup and I like the idea of doing croutons with it instead of the usual cheese and bacon. It's gotten cold here (well my version of cold) and soup sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can't beat a homey and delicious bowl of potato soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I understand, Katherine, it’s our version of cold too! Soup is great for us to take for lunches too. This one is deadly easy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........