Saturday, October 14, 2017

Zuppa di Pesce
{Fish Stew}

A few weeks ago Doug found this recipe for a fish stew. It looked good so we saved our leftover fish from other dinners (froze it) and used that along with a fresh fillet of Tripletail.

Tripletail is a new fish for us.  We saw it at Southern Seafood and decided to try it - happy we did because it's a mild fish with great texture for grilling.  The last time we bought way more than we needed so we kept some aside for this stew.



fish1


The recipe calls for wine and since we are this close (fingers pinched together) to payday, plus for once we didn't have a bottle of white in the wine cooler, I thought I would just leave it out.  As the prep was in progress we decided the wine may indeed be necessary for flavor.  Sometimes you need that bump or that one particular ingredient that makes a difference.

It's raining and the stew is in progress.  Publix is too far away and we don't want to drive that far in the rain anyway so.....we limped on down to the Dollar General where they have Dark Horse Chardonnay for a very reasonable price.  I know, I know, you are supposed to cook with a wine you would drink but that was close by, reasonably priced, and in the rural redneck part of the state we are in now......that's what was available.  No Trader Joe's near us, no liquor stores that I'd go in without carrying a firearm (in the evenings anyway) so yeah..........Dollar General Chardonnay.
That's my story.

Zuppa di Pesce

A few tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 cloves of garlic chopped
1 (28 oz. can) Italian style plum tomatoes
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 TB cut basil
2 pounds of fish (such as cod, red snapper, orange roughy) cut into chunks
Shredded Parmesan cheese

Directions
Heat olive oil and saute onions and garlic until tender.  Add tomatoes with juice and white wine.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add fish and cook until it flakes, about 10 minutes.
Serve with Parmesan cheese.


fish2



I will be joining Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series and Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.

.
FullSizeRender (5)


11 comments:

  1. Good recipe to come across. I'm visiting from Weekend Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Our Dollar Generals can't sell wine. Somehow I don't think we're missing out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soups looks delicious and I love how you thought to save and freeze leftover fish for this soup! great idea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Had to smile at your wine purchasing. Thanks for the recipe. Like your idea of saving leftover fish too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For some reason I can't relate to fish in a soup - prawns yes. I should give it a go. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Linda, thanks for dropping by!

    BFR, it's not an awful wine, certainly not a "drain wine" but wouldn't have been my first choice.

    Thanks, Judee, we don't waste anything here :-)

    Thank you, Jama.

    It was hearty, Carole.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think our Dollar Generals around here sell wine, either! haha I would definitely go in a pinch to the convenience store if I had to! I love fish stews.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Laurie, they don't sell good quality but yeah, in a pinch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buying chardonnay at the Dollar General is too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Needs must when it comes to getting ingredients quickly! ;-) Your fish stew looks delicious--you have me craving one. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Di, it was funny and we don't make a habit of it but....needs come first!

    Deb, I love hooking up with Souper Sunday :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........