Friday, December 15, 2017

Creamy Vegetable Soup
{A hot lunch for cool weather}

Creamy veg soup was inspired by necessity - the need for a hot lunch to carry to work.  The ingredients were  selected from a nearly bare vegetable tray in the fridge.  Creativity was required 😼

It’s simple.  You look in the fridge for orphan vegetables, quantities too meager to produce a good side dish at dinner. I had onions (I always have copious quantities of onions), three garlic cloves, mushrooms, two carrots, one yellow squash and a handful of green beans. 

(The bowls aren’t glorious but’s what I have at work so…..this is as photogenic as it gets)

VegSoup



Get those vegetables soft by slowly simmering in a tablespoon or so of olive oil and a knob of butter.  Salt and  pepper liberally then add a few shakes of dried oregano and basil.  I tipped a few tablespoons of A/P flour in the veg mix and gently combined.  Slowly add milk or Almond milk and watch it thicken up.  

I also added some vegetable broth because it got to be a little too thick.  
Oh, I saw a saved container of short grain rice in the fridge too so I added that as well.

vegsoup2

For dinner we had a freshly made loaf of French bread so I cut off a few slices to take for lunch.  They don’t give us much in the way of heat in our offices so hot substantial soup is a blessing.
If you prefer to add a protein to the soup you could always toss in some chicken, beans or tofu.

 Lovely lunch, wish I had brought some cheese too.



Linking up with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series. 
Check out the link up HERE and join in if you can.  Also linking up with Beth Fish Reads for Weekend Cooking.


FullSizeRender (5)

12 comments:

  1. I love soup and it's perfect for a cold office! I love the look of this one with its chunky vegies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making cream soup is always so much better than getting it out of a can! If you created this and put it in one of those retro casseroles, the result would also be far better than using Campbell's Cream of Mushroom.

    Why don't they heat your office?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. BFR- this was super easy too. Perfect for cold weather.

    Bermuda Onion, thank you, it’s true comfort food

    Mae, well I hadn’t thought of that, brilliant! When I make a casserole I will try that.
    Oh, the office heat issue has been going on for the last 5 years or so. My husband and I are on the 1st floor but there is a parking garage underneath. I think that’s part of the problem. But if you go to the 2nd Floor where our commissioners are, it’s much warmer. ( Bosses are comfortable 🤭). We take our lunch up to the 2nd floor break room in cold months. They won’t let us use space heaters anymore either as it was blowing fuses. Ah, the life of a government drone.
    I’m sure more info than you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make soup for my husband's lunch and this sounds like a good one! I'm honestly not a big soup fan but I have found it hits the spot on cold dreary days! Shockingly I'd leave out the mushrooms but I'm pretty sure I have everything else so I might have to whip this up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks easy and nourishing. Love cream soups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katherine, just addin your favorite veggies, you can’t go wrong.

    Jama, I love the cream soups too. The tomato based ones aren’t bad but creamy ones are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creamy soups, especially with rice and veggies are so comforting and satisfying. It looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. Stay warm! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making soups and always have a bag of ends of veg in the freezer. There are always some orphan veg in the fridge as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have proclaimed 2018 as the year of Homemade Soup :) I love the simpleness of this recipe and the fact that it will help me use leftovers rather than waste them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the best soups I ever made was from whatever canned veggies etc. I had on hand. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soups are so forgiving for that refrigerator/leftover dump method! Love what you came up with!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........