Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Creamy Mushroom Soup for Souper Sunday


It's May and it's hot around these parts but that doesn't usually deter me from making soup.  This particular soup has been on my radar for a while but I kept putting it off.  After reading a Nicci French book (Frieda Klein series) I started thinking about a mushroom garlic soup again.  It was one of the culinary items mentioned in that book and I actually planned to make it the representative dish.

But I get sidetracked easily.

You could use all sorts of mushrooms such as shiitake, portabello or white button - any sort you like. I used the white button mushrooms, not very adventurous this time but was good.

mush1


This would be a good starter with the Tortellini dinner we had. I also made fresh Italian bread!  While all that was a good meal I could do with not seeing a Tortellini for a long, long time. Two dinners and a lunch.

mush2

Here is the simple recipe if you want to try it, tweaking the recipe to your own taste.  I would recommend this as a dinner starter or to be served with something else hearty for a lunch.


Mushroom Soup

1 pound of mushrooms
2 tablespoons butter
5 chopped garlic cloves
1 chopped onion
a few tablespoons AP flour
1 cup broth (I used vegetable)
1 cup milk (adjust that as you like for thickness of soup)
sprinkle of ground thyme
salt and pepper

In Dutch oven saute onions, mushrooms and garlic. Add butter and when it melts, sprinkle in some flour.  Now slowly add milk and broth to your taste.

I'm linking up with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series.  Click HERE to see Deb's Red Pepper, Chickpea and Couscous soup.



  FullSizeRender (5)

5 comments:

  1. White button mushrooms actually have quite a bit of shroomy taste so this sounds like a great idea, especially with a light sprinkle of grated cheese.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mae. I like cheese so it goes on most things I make. This wasn't substantial enough for lunch but would make a great starter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shall let you have my share of mushroom soup! I don't mind the flavor of mushrooms but have never been able to get past the texture. Actually the more I've thought about food I dislike the more often it is a texture issue versus flavor. Well except olives. Olives are just terrible! My favorite soup is French Onion but so often it's disappointing and I've yet to really gather my courage to try a recipe myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about you when I was posting this, Katherine. I know you aren't a fan of mushrooms and thought you'd let me have your share. Thanks! Oh, Mae at Mae's Food blog just posted some French Onion soup. You ought to go check that one out. Looks delicious.

    I'll be sending you an email about Netgalley - I was approved for my first book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creamy mushroom soup is one of my favorites and you know I'd eat it any time of year or temp too! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........