Saturday, May 26, 2018

Crispy Panko Baked Cod


Last February I read a review of Cooking that Counts on Beth fish Reads and thought, I need to check that book out of the library.  The post at Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking series may be found HERE.  Then I saw this cookbook highlighted again at Vicki's blog I'd Rather be at the Beach.

Finally I am getting around to posting a meal from that book.  There are loads of great recipes but if you are into a mostly plant based diet, you ought to check this out of the library. All of the recipes are low calorie and look delicious.  We decided to try the oven baked cod first.

The first evening we had a mixture of potatoes and cauliflower.  The second evening we had asparagus and baked sweet potatoes.  Love the sweet potatoes, I could eat those several times a week and they are so good for you.


cod

Cauliflower and potatoes here.......

cod1


The homemade dill and lemons were an a nice accompaniment.

cod3

There are quite a few other recipes I would like to try and it's a bit funny I settled on this one first.  When I saw the photo I thought, I don't need fried food and skipped past this one.  Even though I love fish and can occasionally enjoy it fried, that wasn't the way I wanted to go.

On second look, I saw it was "oven fried" using Panko.  It was great!

Crispy Fish with Lemon-Dill Sauce
Hands on is 25 minutes, serves 4

2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
1 cup Panko
1/2 teaspoon paprika
3/4 teaspoon each of onion power and garlic powder 
4 (6 ounce) skinless cod fillets
1 teaspoon ground pepper
a little bit of salt
cooking spray
1/4 cup canola mayonnaise (such as Hellmanns)
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill pickle
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh chopped dill
4 lemon wedges

Preheat broiler to high.
Place egg whites in shallow dish.  In a separate dish place Panko, paprika, onion powder and garlic powder.  Sprinkle fish with salt and pepper.  Dip each fillet in the egg whites then dredge in Panko mixture; place on broiler pan coated with cooking spray.  

Broil 4 minutes on each side or until done.
Combine mayonnaise, pickles, lemon and dill.  Serve with the fish along with lemon wedges.

It's very good!

This won't be the last recipe I share from this book.  Lots of goodies in there, healthy too.

I am sharing this with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series

WeekendCooking

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a fish eater, but the sides sound delicious. Sweet potatoes are especially a favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Panko is really a great ingredient for so many uses. This looks like a very nice way to use it.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you gave the book a try -- I turn to it often, both for specific recipes and for inspiration. I'm a big Cooking Light fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so good. Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not a big fan of fish but I have enjoyed cod the times I've had it and Panko is pretty magic. It makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........