Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Cuban Mojo Pork for dinner and a soup from leftovers

This is a post about the newly acquired Instant Pot and one of the meals my husband has made with this device (recipe follows). I'd also like to share some thoughts on the IP even though I have yet to use it. I've been an observer and taste tester :-)

It's not instant.  But it is a very cool device.  If you are already experienced with the old school pressure cookers then this will be seamless for you to use.  We purchased the 6 quart size from Costco so some of the controls/options are different,  There isn't a button to select for eggs but obviously you can still cook eggs in this IP.

The texture and tenderness of the meats he's cooked so far get an A+. Some meals are faster using the IP than they would be using a Dutch oven. It also keeps your kitchen from heating up and when it's summertime, so that's another plus.  You still have the same amount of time for prep as you would any other recipe but it doesn't seem like this pot needs the same attention.  As an example, no lifting of lids for extra stirring.

One of the confusions in talking to someone who uses IP is understanding the difference between cooking times and the ready-to-serve time. For instance, the Chicken in Cream Sauce is the same as a Friccassie .  When I have made the Friccassie it takes one hour.  When someone asks me how long until dinner is ready I say 1 hour.

It takes the same amount of time in the IP but....ready for this....the chicken is actually cooked in 7 minutes.  But it's not ready!  The IP then needs a depressurizing time.  It slowly releases pressure in the pot.  By the time all this is done and the creme fraiche is added it is 1 hour.  It is then ready to serve.  So when I hear the chicken is done cooking in 7 minutes, I think I ought to have started rice or vegetables because.....well....7 minutes.

Now I understand this concept and know to ask, when will it be ready to serve and eat, not how long does it take to cook.   My coworker told me about a great Indian chicken recipe and said the chicken cooked in 8 minutes.  But again, it wasn't ready to eat so there is a misconception about how instant it is.  When I ask how long does it take to cook, I really mean all phases of cooking - the time until it's ready to be served.

 The exception we've discovered so far is the Arroz Con Pollo.  It honestly was done in record time in the IP and I can say, the chicken was fork tender and the rice had a creamy texture that reminded you of arborio rice.  I'll share that in another post.


So..... for the In My Kitchen linkup I shared a Mojo Cuban Pork dinner which was prepared in the Instant Pot. Doug did this and it was excellent.  There was enough leftover that I made a soup with the remainder. 

imk4

And here's the soup. Lovely flavors of Mojo marinated pork with rice and black beans.  I added some broth, parsley and more onions.

porksoup1

Cuban Pork Shoulder

1 TB olive oil
1 bone-in pork shoulder (3 lbs)
course salt and pepper
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup navel orange juice
1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
10 galic cloves
1 TB cumin seeds
5 marjoram or oregano sprigs
3/4 cup water (for stove top pressure cooker only)

Heat oil in a 6 or 8 quart Instant Pot pressure cooker. Pat pork dry and season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.  Cook pork, turning until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients - the juices and seasonings.  We used a bottled Mojo as it has all of the ingredients needed.  Just get a good brand like Badia.

mojo

After all that is in the IP secure the lid. Manually set cooker to 50 minutes and let it come to pressure.  Once time is complete, turn off, quickly release pressure, then remove lid.  You can let it naturally release pressure too.  I think that takes another 10 minutes.

It was a very good meal.  So tender and flavorful.  With the leftovers I chopped the pork and made soup.  Nothing goes to waste!


porksoup2


Please note - I still haven't used the IP.  Doug loves it.  My son loves it. People who have one and cook with it seem to be quite enamored of it's qualities.  I am afraid of the steam and getting burned.  Trust me, if you knew me and knew how clumsy I am, it's a valid concern :-) 

Since I am not the one cooking these meals if there are any corrections or questions Doug will be able to answer as he's the man on the grill and the Instant Pot!

Linking up with Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series and Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday.  Check out her Fish and Creamed Corn Chowder HERE



10 comments:

  1. All of it looks good.
    I'm still trying to decide which IP I want to buy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks really yummy. I'll have to look for that bottled Mojo! Though I'm not planning to get an IP.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I was long-time stove-top pressure-cooker cooker, I didn't expect my IP to be instant. Still, I use it often. Beans, soup, risotto, and stews are my favorites. This pork looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a fabulous meal and even more good as a soup. ;-) Thank you for sharing it with Souper Sundays. I continue to resist the allure of the Instant Pot but I know so many who love their IPs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for explaning a little more about the IP. I haven't got one but have been interested in it. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like my InstaPot too, I'm going to try Doug's recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate the extra explanation about Instant Pot cooking... especially since I've never used a pressure cooker (I'm not sure why they scare me!) The dinner looks delicious, and I'm going to try that marinade, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still interested in that Instant Pot but know I want to try that Mojo marinade too! Thank Doug for the recipe! (You, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi!

    It's belated but I wanted to thank you for coming by my France posts at Marmelade Gypsy. I see you're a fan of the City of Light, too - isn't it the best? I have a few more coming up before we move on to England so I hope you'll stop by again. (I also see we have an interest in wine so if you come over, check out the Cork Poppers link on the menu bar and you'll see our wine posts too!) And I really loved the books on your book blog. I'm a mystery fan, so it was fun to read about the Agatha Raisin.

    Meanwhile, this mojo pork looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, ladies! It's always nice to open up the comments and see such positive thoughts. I'll visit you all at your places. Happy Thanksgiving early to the American folks :-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........