Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Nigella's Chicken Shawarma and Carole's Brussels Sprout Carbonara

Happy Wednesday.  Obviously I am skipping the Wordless Wednesday posts for now.  Haven't found anything cool to post so....let me jump back on the I Heart Cooking Club bandwagon and share a recipe I adapted from Nigella Lawson.

This is a nice dish to prepare if you are stuck inside during the thunderstorms.  We've had a few recently.  We needed the rain so I can't complain.

I also have an accompaniment from Carole's Chatter.  She posted a recipe for Brussels Sprouts Carbonara that changed our minds about this veggie!

sw2.jpg


Nigella's Chicken Shawarma and Carole's Brussel Sprout Carbonara

6 chicken thighs (trimmed of fat)
A little squeeze of lemon juice
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoons dried chili flakes
1/4 tsp cinnamon


Place chicken thighs in a large plastic freezer bag. Grate the zest of a lemon or add a few squeezes of juice into the bag.  Now add all the other ingredients and mix and squish everything together.

Ideally you'll place the bag in the fridge and leave to marinade all day or overnight. But I didn't have time for the overnight marinade and did a quickie 2 hour marinade.  Better than nothing!
Heat the oven to 400 F and tip the chicken and juices into a roasting pan.
Roast for 30 to 40 minutes until chicken is cooked through and golden brown.

The veggie on the plate is Brussel Sprout Carbonara, a recipe from Carole at Carole's Chatter.  Her post may be found HERE and I can tell you, it's a keeper. We have tried sprouts before and no matter how I prepared them, they seemed bitter.  This is a winner in our house, we've had it twice already.


sprout

Click the link to see Carole's recipe.  The only adaption I had was using 2% milk instead of cream.  We didn't have cream but the milk worked for the initial try.  Excellent.  The second night we had the sprouts I didn't bother with the bacon and used Parmesan.  Again, it was good.





14 comments:

  1. Both sounds really good since both my son and I love chicken and I love Brussels Sprouts. I'll be trying both recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you enjoy as much as we did, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of a simple chicken and brussels sprouts is a perfect stress-free spring dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Nigella's recipes. I think I need to dig out my cookbooks and revisit them all. My husband won't eat dark meat otherwise I'd be making this tomorrow! I'm sure the flavor would still be good with white but it wouldn't have the same juiciness. I'll have to try the Brussel Sprout Carbonara. I've never really had much luck with them either but this version looks pretty tasty - especially since you've already had them twice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great chicken idea. I love lemon on chicken.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! what a meal. my husband loves shwarma! thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ador shwarma and had those brussels sprouts marked to try. Yay for success!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both recipes look delicious. I remember Carole posting the brussels sprouts one. Must try both dishes now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks like a delicious meal! Thanks for joining in with IHCC this week!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband loves Brussels sprouts, me not so much, so I'm looking forward to giving this recipe a try. That way we can both enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Squee! Squee! I'm famous! So glad you like the sprouts. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love brussels sprouts. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this is life changing! I love Brussels Sprouts and I have never thought of Brussels Sprouts Cabonara - such a lovely idea! I just know it's delicious!

    Love that you're cooking with Nigella. I need to pick up one of her books and read her words again - no one talks about food like Nigella. Love the spices on this chicken - I'm sure it was wonderfully flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything on the plate looks yummy! Brussels Sprouts Cabonara, it sounds and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........