Sunday, June 16, 2019

Aja, a BLT and June events

Have you ever made plans for hooking up with other foodie blog events, camping, celebrations and such then have things go spectacularly awry due to unforeseen circumstances? June is one of those months that it will happen to us. And it did. Ugh.

Here is a lovely photo of Aja taken June 7, enjoying some music and sucking down biscuits, hanging out with her mom & dad (us).  We had been planning a camping trip to Stephen Foster state park for our anniversary weekend. Today is actually our 35th anniversary and we were meant to be sitting under a canopy, enjoying the wildlife and anticipating a grill steak dinner.



Thursday evening Aja stumbled as a drunk person would, her hind legs going a different direction than her front legs. She crashed into the fridge, the safe and stumbled down the hall into my arms. Then 5 minutes later she was walking fine. WTF?!

Cutting to the chase here, Aja developed Vestibular Syndrome which is treatable but what a scare it gave us all. Just a little over 800 dollars later we learned she would regain her balance and behave normally within 3 days to 2 weeks. She has quite a few medicines to ingest over the next few weeks. The diagnosis was given on Friday.  We were meant to pack and head out camping on Saturday but had to cancel. No one was sleeping well, Aja couldn't`walk without swaying and her eyes were twitching back and forth as if she were watching a fast paced tennis match.  It`s called nystagmus - the constant twitching of the eyes, back and forth.  Obviously this would make one dizzy and nauseous.

By the way, this happens to people too and we have met someone who suffers from it.  Bam, it just comes on and you need to sit down.

As I mentioned earlier I wanted to hook up with a few cooking events but alas......best laid plans. One of the days we were home watching over Aja we made simple BLT sandwiches. It wasn't a cool and unique offering for Deb`s Souper Sunday event but I think I will bring it to the party after all.



Obviously you don`t need a recipe for a BLT. I like to load them with fat tomato slices and use the Trader Joe`s bread. That makes such good toast!


I see that Deb had her own health issues with her cat Max so I am sending sympathy your way, my friend. These furry children really tear us up ♥
It seems like we have been on the same wavelength with a few meals in the recent past such as the gnocchi in soup and curry...crazy that our pets had issues the same time. Yikes. Anyway, I hope everyone is well.

Sharing with Deb for Souper Sunday - go check out her Peanut Ramen Soup!

6 comments:

  1. Wow, how scary about Aja. Poor baby!
    Sorry your plans got derailed but glad Aja is on the mend.
    That BLT looks so good and now I want one.
    I hope this week goes better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad Aja is OK and than you for the shout out and love for Max. It definitely wrecks us when our babies are not doing well. I'm glad they both ended up with treatable issues. <3

    Your sandwich looks so good! Sometimes a classic really hits the spot. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, poor Aja! I hope full recovery is quick. There's nothing like a good BLT sandwich... and Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! Poor Aja -- and what a scare! Happy anniversary and enjoy your wine and comfort food! We're not quite to tomato season yet, but BLTs are always on the menu when we can get garden-fresh tomatoes at the market.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I was so scared when I read the first couple of sentences but so relieved that she's okay. I can imagine that must be really distressing and it's always rough with a dog because you can't really explain it to them.

    The BLT looks amazing and now I desperately want one. I'm not sure I'll get tomatoes from my plants this year but I'm going to hit up farmers markets soon and pick up some tomatoes.

    Hope everyone gets rested up soon and the world stops spinning for poor Aja.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pets really become our own family, and I'm so sorry to hear you are going through a rough time with yours.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........