Thursday, August 15, 2019

A trip to Ybor City Tampa

Last week we were able to head south and enjoy some time with Doug's brother his wife in Tampa. That was so much fun seeing them again.  

Believe it or not but it wasn't as hot in Tampa as it is in north Florida.  We were still hot, mind you, but it was easier to deal with the humidity there. Plus we had a pool at the AirBandB. 

I wanted to share a few photos from the trip but won't add as many as I did to Instagram.

The pool was great.  When it's hot there's nothing like a quick swim.

y1



Of course Aja was along for the trip. We never leave her behind.

aj

A beautiful gate in Ybor City, Tampa.

y3

Here we are! This was taken during a walk around Ybor City.  

y4

cig


What a fascinating tour we had thanks to our sister-in-law Barbara.  She took us around the cigar factories and explained how the workers lived, showed us the cottages and more.  It was interesting and educational.

cigar


Let us get to the food. Oh my, the food was fabulous. We ate dinner at Arco Iris and enjoyed Pollo ala Plancha, Lechon and Masitas.  Another day we went to the Tropicana and I tried the Papas Rellenas.  See photo below. 

This lovely was a mashed potato filled with picadillo .  I am inspired to try and make this soon.  Hopefully this weekend.


y5.jpg


Once we were home I was inspired to dig out Barbara's Picadillo recipe for a dinner.  So yes.....coming up I will try and duplicate the Papas Rellenas. 

pica

We haven't  made this in awhile and I am glad I did.  Perfect with Maduros and Cuban bread.


pic2

Barb's Picadillo

Ingredients......

¼ cup olive oil
1 large clove garlic
1 onion, chopped fine
1 green pepper, chopped fine
1 ½ pounds of ground beef and ground pork mixture
Salt and pepper to taste
A large can tomato sauce (about 15 oz. can)
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon basil AND oregano
Roughly a ½ cup white wine
Sliced olives (I use a healing half cup)

Method.......

Heat oil in pan and saute garlic, green pepper and onion. When they are softened add the meat and cook until browned.

I use a spatula to chop the meat up into a fine consistency as it cooks. Be sure to drain the fat out of the pan after the meat is browned. I hold my sauce pan lid tightly over the pan and drain the fat off into a coffee can or any grease catcher you might use.

Slice the olives and add as many as you like, per your taste.....

Mix in the tomato sauce and all other ingredients........simmer a half hour on low to medium heat. Stir occasionally.

We usually serve it over yellow or white rice and with plantains and black beans.

We ate well while being away.

Next is a healthy salad of grilled chicken breast over salad greens, black beans and feta cheese. Refreshing and cool with a balsamic vinegar dressing.

chickblackbean


We enjoyed our visit and the plethora of Cuban restaurants and meals so much that I think we could live there.  It was very mice to be near family for a while.  But you know me, I'm always talking about moving!  Once I retire we will see where we end up.

I will be joining Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series and Beth Fish's Weekend Cooking Series.



WeekendCooking FullSizeRender (5)

11 comments:

  1. That food looks good! Looks like you had a great time. It has been cooler here on and off lately due to rain etc. so I'm glad your trip was during this time. I live about 40 min. from Ybor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The food looks amazing! When the Tornado was a baby J spent the summer in Tampa for work and we came down for a week. We had the best time exploring Tampa and St. Pete but I don't think we ever ended up in Ybor City. Having your own pool sounds like perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cuban food looks amazing. We live in South Miami where we have a Cuban restaurant on every corner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love picadillo - first encountered it in a Sunset magazine years ago. The idea of putting it in mashed potatoes is fabulous!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting the picadillo recipe! I'm making it this week. That chicken looks awesome too. I saw the photos of the Air BNB (on IG???) -- it looks like a great place to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made Picadillo, and will now, thanks for the push. Looks like a great time away visiting family and eating well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food looks delicious... and I love the Air B&B with the pool! Glad it was easier to deal with the humidity there, too. I've only been to Ybor City once, but would love to go back.... and I'll be your personalized tour was excellent! Aja looks pretty content there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my family would like picadillo, I may have to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fabulous relaxing trip with lots of good food! Thanks for sharing your salad with Souper Sundays this week! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........