Friday, August 30, 2019

Sausage, Red Beans and Rice and what's up at our house


Food stuff:  A can of red beans and a sausage in the fridge made the inspiration for this soupy lunch.  This is the sort of easy prep meal we will make if Hurricane Dorian makes our life miserable.  I feel for the folks on the east coast of Florida as they are going to be hit hard.  Who knows which path it may take after it makes landfall. #herewegoagain


saus


There isn't a recipe, it's a toss together.  Red beans, sausage, leftover short grain rice, tomatoes and broth.,  Add seasonings to your preference. Canned beans and rice and other canned goods are immensely helpful for disaster planning and dining :-)

Fortunately we have supplies and lots and lots of Bustelo coffee! I think 47 bricks ought to hold us for a bit.

post1

Speaking of leftovers I made a great lunch of Cuban pork roast (Doug made it, recipe HERE), rice, sliced avocado, tomato and Cuban bread.  There was some blue cheese dressing that went a treat with this makeshift salad.  I couldn't stop reading The Nanny so that's what I did for lunch that day.  Ate and read....probably longer than my official lunch time 😉

post2


House stuff: What else is new......well, we had a collapsing porch and this was recently redone.  Behold the before and after photos.  This is a snap from my phone.  I videoed the flooding and the collapsed flagstone to show the business who installed it.



patio2


Here is is now.  Hopefully the addition of rocks will help with the constant rain flooding over the patio roof.  When the weather is pleasant we like eating and sitting outside.

post3

post4

Library loot!  I recently picked up the two cookbooks which were topics on Beth Fish Reads.  I'm anxious to try the Budget Bytes and have enjoyed flipping through Steak and Cake.  I've already read The Night Olivia Fell and it was Ok. (shrugs)

books

My Fitbit. 
Oh, woe be to me....my Fitbit Alta slipped off my wrist somewhere between work and home.  I've searched and searched but I have accepted it's gone forever. Bummer.

If anyone would like to weigh in I'm torn between purchasing a Versa Lite and an Inspire HR

The lovely clouds........this was on the way home recently.


cloud

And that's about it for now..........getting ready to enjoy time off for labor day weekend and not let the Hurricane put a damper on anything.  Pun intended :-)

Sharing with Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking and Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday.


WeekendCooking FullSizeRender (5)

7 comments:

  1. The Sausage, Red Beans and Rice looks really good, I haven't had that in quite a while.

    I think you're set for coffee for a while :)

    The rocks look really pretty!

    I'll be looking for a copy of Budget Bytes. I've bought a few cookbooks lately and am still going through them looking for recipes I want to try.

    Sorry about your Fitbit.

    Pretty clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with staying out of the path of the hurricane! I hope you get to enjoy your put-together meals WITHOUT a disaster happening.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meals that can be easily thrown together are the best! Hope you are spared from the wrath of the storm. I live in Miami Beach area 6 months of the year and thankfully we are not there now. My thoughts and prayers that all stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love using up stuff, very satisfying.

    Fitbit - I use my phone for counting my steps when I'm out and about. There's a lot of health apps.

    The Nanny - added to my TBR list, finding a good read hard these days.
    I always read on my reader but there is something about paging through a cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hopefully Dorian will behave itself and not make to big of a mess. We're going to Disney in October and I've been getting updates on Orlando's prep. Though your hurricane prep between the coffee and the red beans and rice looks pretty tasty. Stay safe and hopefully Dorian goes the other way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you love Budget Bytes! I use that cookbook a lot -- if not for the exact recipes, for inspiration. Hope you make thru Dorian. I was thinking of the Inspire if my One finally bites the dust. I think I could slip it in my pocket if I didn't want it on my wrist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your soup with Souper Sundays this week. It looks delicious. I hope you stay safe and dry through the storm. I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........