Friday, September 13, 2019

Grilling, Reading and Watching

It was but a wish and dream that we could get cooler temperatures.  Almost.....a few more weeks and we will be able to sit outside again.

Grilled dinner / From the grill and in the kitchen this week we have grilled hog snapper, something we haven't tried before.  It's such a thin fillet that it was placed on heavy foil so it wouldn't go through the grill grates. This is a Gulf fish.

hog1

Rafts of asparagus, olive oiled and salted, grilled.

hog2


It was a nice textured fish, a sweet but not buttery taste and I would gladly have it again.  The local fish market doesn't get it very often.

hog3


Reading and lunches:  I had been reading an autobiography by Eric Clapton and enjoying that during lunch.  One of my lunches was a clean-out-the-fridge mission which inspired a pizza salad. Lots of salad greens, radish, cukes, pea pods, carrots and a deconstructed bit of pizza toppings.  I scraped the cheesy veggie topping off and mixed it with the salad.  It was good! And I avoided the extra carbs by harvesting only the cheese and veggie toppings.  Alas, pizza is my always my downfall with a weight loss plan.  I love it so.  Maybe I'll just walk more.......

clap and salad


Something new / A while back I mentioned I lost my Fitbit.  I used the Bluetooth and walked everywhere I normally do hoping to connect to my lost device. Alas, no luck and the battery would be dead after 4 days anyway, BUT --- I ordered a new one with a discount Fitbit.com gave me.  I bought an Inspire HR.  This tracks heart rate and is also waterproof, things my old Alta didn't have.
inspire

Movies / Did I mention we tried the Jack Ryan series from Amazon? Our library had it and we thought we'd give it a shot. Loved it! Lots of action and intriguing political plot.  We'd love to see the next season when it comes out.  

The library also has a Nova DVD for us called the Planets as well as Apollo: Missions to the Moon.  I had looked forward to The Vanishing with Gerard Butler but it was a bit of a bust.  Inspired by a true story about 3 lighthouse keepers in Scotland who disappeared without a trace back in 1900.  Well now they don't actually know what happened, do they?  This was a lot of conjecture that left us shaking our heads.

jack

Doug's birthday is this Sunday so we will see what meals, beverages and desserts he wants.  You have to live it up while you can!  More on the birthday week later on 🎂 




Sharing with:


11 comments:

  1. I've never heard of hog snapper. I love asparagus and sweet potatoes but don't eat them often enough.

    My daughter in law makes a breakfast dish made from leftover pizza toppings scrambled in eggs. She calls it Pizza Eggs, and it's really good.

    I've been watching a lot of movies and keeping up with Big Brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of hog snapper and when I saw it listed fish was not what I immediately thought of! I'm glad you enjoyed Jack Ryan. We watched an episode or two but never quite got hooked though I do love the main guy in it. Too bad about The Vanishing! What a fascinating story though. I want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job that FitBit gave you a discount. The Inspire is the one I'm going to get if my One dies (it's probably just a matter of time). I haven't watched the Jack Ryan series, maybe I'll add it to my list. The fish looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting fish- never even heard of it. We are enjoying the cooler weather for today anyway

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have tried a lot of ways to grill fish over our charcoal fire. A wire basket works also, though the fish becomes smokier. Yours looks just right for delicate snapper — the “hog” part is probably misleading about the taste, must refer to the fish’s face.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't wait to have hog snapper again... hopefully within the next month or so! Our grocery store usually calls is 'hogfish' but it's always labeled hog snapper at the fish market. Either way, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of hog snapper - need to see if we have an equivalent here in NZ. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I enjoyed Jack Ryan too.
    Hog snapper is a not a fish I’m familiar with, glad it was tasty though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Needless to say, that hogfish is not swimming around in Hawaiian waters, unless under another name? Good way of cooking both the fish and asparagus!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of hog snapper either. Your grilled asparagus looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always enjoy seeing the different fish you get there. ;-) Thank you for sharing your pizza salad with Souper SUndays--it looks delicious and what a great way to use up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........