Saturday, February 29, 2020

Squash Casserole from Whiskey in a Teacup


7543B584-E1D2-4126-9DB4-F032FC860A11


I’m rather behind in my blogging plans and just about any other project I hoped to jump on this February. That’s one reason I haven’t visited or posted too much. 

I use my phone as a hot spot for Internet connection or make do with a tablet. We were approached by a lady trying to sign folks up for Infinity Internet but she confirmed that they won’t come to our area. Seems you need at least 50 people for the service to consider your area and I doubt there are 50 people on our stretch of a 5 mile road. Oh well. #disappointed

Anyway, I saw this book Whiskey in a Teacup at Barnes and Noble and thought I’d take a look. I’m glad I checked it out of the library as it’s a nice book with good photos and recipes but I wouldn’t want to own it.

One recipe that interested me was this squash casserole. I warned my husband that it looked like a peach cobbler when it was in the oven so, don’t be disappointed. It does look like a dessert.

86BC7A27-AF1D-49C8-8C5E-82153A54500B

Plated up you can tell it's squash.  It went well with roasted chicken thighs and little potatoes but I imagine this would be a good side dish with any entree.  

Except sushi, yeah, that wouldn't meld well.

1474167D-F7D9-45F7-BA21-96B049FE745F

Here is the recipe as printed in the book but I made adaptions.  It's just us two so I didn't need a quantity to serve 10. Yikes, we'd be eating it forever.

Summer Squash Casserole
(serves 8-10)

3 TB olive oil
1 white onion chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 pounds total yellow squash and zucchini, sliced
salt
3 TB butter
24 Ritz crackers
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 large eggs, beaten with 1/2 cup heavy cream
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp pepper
3 TB Parmesan cheese
2 TB chopped parsley

Preheat oven to 375 F and grease baking dish. Heat olive oil in skillet and saute onion and garlic about 3 minutes.
Add squash to pan with salt; saute about 10 minutes until tender. Drain in colander.

Crush Ritz crackers; transfer 1/2 to squash mixture in large bowl. Combine 3/4 cup cheese, egg cream mixture, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a prepared baking dish.
Combine remaining cracker crumbs with 3 TB melted butter. Top casserole with crumbs and rest of cheese and Parmesan.

Bake 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with parsley.

 Notes:. I used regular milk and not cream, also I cut back to a smaller quantity for the serving size.






8 comments:

  1. Your comment about telling Doug not to be disappointed was so funny! It looks good!

    I read this book in 2018 and loved it, but didn't make a recipe from it. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too laughed at the peach cobbler warning. The side dish looks really good and will come in handy in the summer when we have all.the.squash! I'd probably use regular milk (actually, almond milk) and would definitely need to pare down for just the two of us. Thanks for the warning that the book is a good library find but not a buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Things that don’t go with sushi ... that would be quite a long list. Not peach cobbler, either, don’t be disappointed!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like peach or apple cobbler, but from the ingredients, sounds pretty good. Going to give it and the book (from the library) a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sushi comment made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I friend of mine got this for me as a gift. I enjoyed Reese's take on a lot of things in the book. The hair curling section left me laughing (as did a lot of her comments). I've made the baked brie and it was really good (but again, not good for sushi!). :) http://eliotseats.com/2019/01/25/book-club/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got this from the library and agree on being glad I didn't buy it. This does look good but my husband has a deep suspicion of casseroles so I tend to avoid them. I think it comes from growing up in the 70s and the overdose of cream of whatever based casseroles. His brother won't eat food if it's touching other food so I guess that's worse. The food trauma is deep! I do want peach cobbler now though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nope, definitely not with sushi, lol!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........