Tuesday, July 07, 2020

July edition of In My Kitchen

Half the year gone - snap. Same old, same old here as Florida's Covid cases are higher than ever.  That's what happens when our elected officials don't shut the state down and ask people to stay home.  That's what happens people don't use common sense, regardless of what rules are or are not put in place.   Doug and I stay home and plan for future trips if that day ever comes.

Rant over.

So... let's see what everyone has to share for Sherry's In My Kitchen event this month.  Here is a look in ours.

Here are some new items in the kitchen recently.  My son sent me a cool knife set for my birthday last month. It reminded me of Game of Thrones the way the knives fan out.  

   82E17960-326D-422F-A5DA-A71EA4556B52 


There are all types of knives, a neat pizza cutting knife as well as a grater.  
Thanks, Tristan!

D231838E-8CE3-405B-9FBF-1C57BF200E9B 


We tried a new cheese from Trader Joe's store. Alas, it was terribly unpleasant. It smelled like feet and tasted like...anchovies, I think it was that particular fishy taste. We tossed it. Probably should have returned it.  


  EBB5E709-203B-4608-B2E6-C14BB1CAA479 

I made monkey bread last month as a cheeky tie-in with the movie Kong: Skull Island.  It's so easy to break off pieces to nibble so half had to be frozen for the future. It is addicting. Aja's head is barely visible in the left corner of the photo.  This bread isn't huge, nor is she that tiny.


  1CBE547B-A1C2-4435-B901-6E5DAA058719

Popovers - yet more carbs created in our kitchen.  Recipe is HERE.

  EDB705E0-8C3B-42A0-9A87-E901B3D2724F


I recently became acquainted with Lee Bailey's cookbook The Way I Cook. 
(thank you BFR)  Temperatures and humidity are ramping up here so a cool salad seemed the best choice for a refreshing side dish. (Recipe below)


B735EA1C-600D-4F2F-A212-8C45B87ED4D0 E71EE2D9-D4FF-4242-8AED-3AAB68915AD6

Speaking of trying new things we finally tried the Beyond Burger.  I saw this on Mae's site and after reading good reviews, we thought we'd give it a whirl.  It was very good.

  FDFA864A-3BD9-4454-8840-83B5DAAC097A 9ED86589-2395-495D-A3CE-C647764D455A


As promised, here is the simple recipe for a cool side salad.  This could go well with just about anything.  Love it.

Avocado, Tomato and Red Onion Salad

3 TB. Lemon juice 
6 TB olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper 
1 TB minced cilantro 
1 cup medium red onion, chopped 
2 cups peeled,  seeded, coarsely chopped fresh tomatoes 
1 large avocado,  peeled and coarsely chopped 
1 tsp minced jalapeno,  or to taste 

Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil,  salt, pepper and cilantro.  Set aside.   Combine onions, tomatoes and avocado and toss with vinaigrette.

 I did not use the jalapenos. It may be liquidy so use a slotted spoon to serve. 

 Linking up with 

28 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to try a Beyond Burger. We don't eat a lot of red meat, but if this is a good substitute, I'm game.

    I still need to make those popovers, but we've been eating fruit galettes all week, so I should wait a little while. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, I had to freeze some of the monkey bread. Fruit galettes would work for me! We liked the Beyond Buger and you need ot let it thaw in the fridge first. It was very good.

      Delete
  2. I never seem to buy anything postable for the IMK event, as my main purchases are just normal food. No new appliances, gadgets, etc. What exactly is in a Beyond Burger? Those jam filled popovers sound very addicting, as does your Monkey bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, I didn't participate for ages but liked seeing what folks were doing in the kitchens. Sometimes they show thier gardens so, you ought to join in sometime.
      Beyond Burger looks like a hamburger but it's all vegetable sort of rotein. It doesn't shrink on the grill and if you didn't know it, seems like meat.

      Delete
  3. Your knives look great -- though maybe they take up a bit of room on the counter top: I hope your counters are spacious!

    I'm delighted that you found a good suggestion on my blog; that is, a food that pleased you, Beyond Burgers. We have also now tried Beyond Sausage, but it's a bit dry and we will probably only continue with the burgers. I'm amused at the question "What exactly is in a Beyond Burger?" because I don't think the manufacturers are really telling the answer to that one, other than listing various vegetable substances. It is being marketed to omnivores who want something that tastes like meat, not to health food seekers.

    be well... mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, the counters aren't super spacious but I had to make room for these. What a sweet gift! Most all the food you serve is very pleasing and I am still coveting the eggplant dish you made a few posts back.
      Yeah, the Beyond Burgers aren't a health food item but I like them. Maybe it will help my cholesterol when I get the burger craving,

      Delete
  4. Ah that indeed is a cool knife set - belated Birthday wishes. Monkey bread and pop overs, i will compliment them once again, esp. the child within me - yum yum! I can't recall whether or not i have had Beyond Burger brand in the UK, something tells me i have, but if not - i will try them out when i see them at the supermarket (should i ever venture out again!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaheen, that's the truth about venturing out. I'd love a haircut but for now I will just tie it up. The Beyond Burgers are pretty good. I also like a black bean burger but haven't had one in ages.

      Delete
  5. What a great gift - so thoughtful! That side salad looks RIGHT up my alley! I've made a similar one before with vinegar and pinto beans. I'll have to hunt that recipe down now that you've reminded me how refreshing a simple cold salad like this can be while we're sweltering here in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, I love this sald, it's pretty the first day but then the avocado looks funky the next. Still tastes good though! It has been very hot lately. I have your town on my weather app and I see you'd been having some muggy weather.

      Delete
  6. I had one of those Beyond Burgers at a restaurant a few months ago, before all of us had to stay home) I actually thought it was better than a regular burger, juicier.

    And, I understand you rant as I am easily set off as well. Mostly about our leadership in general and how partisan a simple thing like wearing a mask to protect yourself and care for others has become. We wear seat belts, don't drive while drunk, don't smoke in public places...how is this suddenly different? Too much Fox news. I grew up in Florida and have good friends who still live there, I am so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, it's the truth - just abiding by some simple rules could make things better but, you will always have that segment of the population who have to make a big deal out of everything. I hope they go ahead and gather with their like minded friends and breath deeply with one another. And now I won't buy Goya anymore either...ok, I am about to go off again :-)

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  7. your salad looks great as does the monkey bread. sorry to hear about Florida. our poor southern state of Victoria is doing very poorly in the covid stakes, and they are basically banned from going anywhere at all! very sad. oh and happy belated birthday. Cancer or Gemini? I'm Cancerian. lovely knife set there! cheers S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I'm Gemini, June baby. Yeah, no one wants us traveling right now but we aren't the only state in dire straits so....roll with it! We'd love to head west but it will have to wait.
      That monkey bread is great - you'd love it.

      Delete
  8. Love that knife set! And BTW -- held off my jam post so I could show the popovers (they were awesome) but **FORGOT** to take photos. SOB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your jam post! I'm glad the popovers were good. I can't make too many, cause I'll eat them. :-)

      Delete
  9. Looks like a great knife set- enjoy it..I've tried the Beyond Meat burger, but I don't have a grill (I'm vegan) and I had to make it in the skillet, which I thought was just ok , but my husband loved it (He is a meat eater). I make a very semilar salad to which we add chick peas to make it a meal. I'm with you and we are staying in!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, best thing for us all is stayng in. I don't know anyone with the virus but I may soon. My son's exwife has symptoms now after being in a place where someone contracted the virus. Yikes!

      I will make a salad soon with chickpeas as I have loads of them in the pantry!

      Delete
  10. That is a really cool set of knives!!
    We (I) am working the amount of carbs we eat. As an Irish girl, I love potatoes with everything. But we probably only have potatoes once a week now. I am using cauliflower as a replacement but John only likes it with cheese, kinda defeating the purpose. Lots of salads too.
    Pasta not too often as I'm not a fan but John is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I grew up with potatoes prominent as a side dish, love them. I like cauliflower too but I get what you mean about cheese defeating the purpose. Love cheese.

      Delete
  11. Can't wait for summer... Lovely salad - and those popovers! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, and I can't wait for cooler temps! Thanks, the salad was great.

      Delete
  12. Those knives looks awesome! Very cool.

    We are busy planning trips for the future too. It's something to do whilst we are back in lockdown for the next six weeks. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, the knives are very cool, thanks. I think the way things are going here in Florida, and the rest of the US, we won't be able to travel for some time. Maybe a year. Ugh. It's great fun planning though!

      Delete
  13. Yum! We're having burgers tonight. We were hoping to take a road trip in August once our anniversary trip to Ireland was canceled, but even road trips are looking extremely in doubt this month. :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous knife set and you have me craving those popovers (and the monkey bread) like crazy! I like the looks of that salad--perfectly cooling and good. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays.

    I bought the Beyond Burgers to try when Safeway put them on sale but I have not made them yet. I did try the Impossible Burger at Burger King several months ago and really enjoyed it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know Burger King had a veggie burger. We havent been out lately.
      Glad you liked the salad.it was cool and refreshing!

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........