Sunday, August 09, 2020

Broccoli and Cheese soup with Outback Croutons

 I made a broccoli and cheese soup for lunch this past week. My feeling is it's never too hot for soup. I don't want to eat it outside, on the patio in this weather, but a hearty bowl of veggie goodness is a great lunch anytime.

Light fare to keep you nourished while you while away the hours reading, baking, cleaning (HA), dog walking or gardening before it's dinner time.

ACB6504E-064F-4D8E-8D49-C43EE15BDECA

There was a bit of Outback bread leftover from last week's baking and I thought it would make remarkable toasted croutons for the soup.


 50D108DB-ACEC-4C5B-A73C-2CBAB60AED69

This is a vegetarian offering until you add the bacon.  But you don't have to add bacon. There were two slices of bacon leftover from something......can't remember as sometimes the days run together.  Anyway, after frying them up and cubing the leftover bread I smooshed the cubes around in the bacon fat.  Then I toasted them for about 10 minutes in the oven.

The broccoli was still in large chunks and so I tried using my immersion blender to smooth the texture out a bit.  For some reason it did not work, at all.  So I dropped the soup into the food processor and that made it nice and smooth.  Just a few chunks.


     63E01C15-FA56-404E-8943-E43C3DF71CCE

This soup is a little different from one I made two years ago, a SkinnyTaste recipe.  See that HERE if you want.  No carrots in this one.  It's your basic list of ingredients - steamed broccoli (which was leftover from the previous dinner), a cheese sauce with flour, butter, milk and cheddar.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder and nutmeg.

I don't measure ingredients so it's pretty much different each time.  This variation uses homemade croutons and bacon. 

Sharing with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday.  Check out her cold cucumber soup this week.


FullSizeRender (5)





7 comments:

  1. Broccoli and cheese soup is one way i do enjoy eating broccoli as i am not much of a fan of the bushy heads, more of the stem/stalks. And those crispy outback bread croutons sound like a great topping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shaheen, oh yeah, I have to blend all those bushy greens in a soup.




      Delete
  2. I was just thinking about making d=some broccoli and cheese soup the other day--it's the only way I can eat broccoli and have it not bug my stomach! ;-) Yours looks amazing--I love the croutons too, perfect for soup. Thanks for sharing with Souper Sundays this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, its always a pleasure to join the party! I hadn't thought about that until you said something but broccoli can be a stomach churned unless its in soup. Or small quantities in stir fry.

      Delete
  3. I looooove broccoli cheese soup but have never made it. And you're right, it is NEVER to hot for soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had soup again yesterday at lunch and it was 97 degrees. But we are inside so...

      Delete
  4. yum this sounds wonderful.. i love broccoli, so this would be great, esp. with cheese and bacon.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........