Friday, August 07, 2020

Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings

Anyone else bored staying in all the time?  Of course you are.  I love to read and have probably read more books this first 6 months of my retirement, but after a while....ooof. So, I am baking a bit more and we are trying to get walks in down the driveway  We are fortunate our driveway is a tenth of a mile long so we never run into anyone. 

We called a couple of pool businesses with hopes of getting a quote on having a pool put in.  Only one company called us back. Those places are apparently booming with more folks staying home. A pool would cool us down and we'd get exercise.  It's expensive though so we aren't champing to move forward.

So, let's talk easy dinners.  Kitchen ramblings as it were.

Once again I turn to my slow cooker for an easy meal.  We keep our AC set at 74 F (23 C) during the daytime to keep the utility bill down.  So far that works well....until I bake a casserole or bread or crank up the oven.

Here is the beginnings of the chicken and dumplings meal.  The soup, chicken, veggies and seasonings are ready to mingle on high heat.

BFC26117-B305-4977-8521-DCEDAF8F9961  

There are many who shun  convenience food items in the kitchen but these days I make use of them without shame.  I like using fresh and seasonal ingredients and would obviously prefer to do so all the time if it were possible.  People are no doubt tired of hearing about the isolation and how we are staying in....but it's true.  

So - the pantry will be stocked with a variety of items to make life easier when I need it to be so.

This preamble is to introduce you to canned biscuits and soup in the recipe.
I should have posted the first photo here. The biscuits portion comes about three hours after the chicken and veggies have gotten to know one another.

Anyway, here are the canned biscuits.  If you have fresh dough then that's all the better.  I did not.

3430005F-6062-40D3-9D6E-017EF3DA1D2B


After the veggies and chicken have cooked and the biscuits have been stirred in, here it is a mere 4 hours later. Ready to serve.  Recipe is below.  I did make my own substitutions and cut down on the cooking time a bit but it all turned out well.

89DBC443-9506-4611-A067-932AC20562D8



Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumpling
{from Delish}
INGREDIENTS

onion, chopped

1 1/4 lb. 

boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used boneless skinless thighs)

1 tsp. 

dried oregano

Salt and 

ground black pepper

(10.5-oz.) cans cream of chicken soup

2 cups

 chicken broth

sprigs fresh thyme (I used dried)

bay leaf

stalks celery, chopped

large carrots, peeled and chopped 

1 c. 

frozen peas, thawed

cloves garlic, minced

(16.3-oz.) can refrigerated biscuits (I used a smaller can, about 10 oz)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Scatter onion in the bottom of a large slow cooker then top with chicken. Season with oregano, salt and pepper.
  2. Pour over soup and broth, add thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook on high until the chicken is cooked through, about 3 hours. 
  3. Discard thyme and bay leaf, then shred chicken with two forks. Stir in celery, carrots, peas, and garlic. Cut biscuits into quarters or smaller, but large enough to be bite sized. Stir them into chicken mixture. Spoon liquid over any biscuits at the top. 
  4. Cook on high until vegetables are tender and biscuits are cooked through, stirring every 30 minutes, about 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes more. 
  5. (Note I found the biscuits cooked well in 45 minutes but that may be due to using a smaller amount.  Or it could be my old slow cooker.)



20200627_182735

11 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about the challenges of getting fresh food when it's so unsafe to go shopping. I'm compromising and doing some in-person purchases at very small markets where local farmers sell their goods. It's still very challenging to buy perishables in quantities that won't go bad before I use them.

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, that's it in a nutshell. I'll buy all these gorgeous tomatoes and sometimes we don't get to use them at their best. Two evenings ago I made tomato gravy from the iffy ones left.
      We don't like shopping and try and make it as few trips as possible and stock up.

      Delete
  2. Oooooh I never heard about using canned biscuits that way! And I swear we're in each other's heads: last night I made soup using mixed frozen veggies, canned tomatoes, boxed broth, and canned beans. It's not how we usually eat, but I think safety comes first--and if that means using convenience foods and frozen veggies, well that's the way it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - so true. When we do get lots of fresh veggies it's fabulous. You just can't stretch them out before they go bad though. So yeah, cans and convenience works for now.

      Delete
  3. I think everyone is getting more innovative and creative using the food we have. I am shopping in small grocery stores and farmer's markets. Today, an outdoor farmer's market was so crowded, I left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, I don't blame yoou for leaving a crowded shop or farmers market. I wish we had a good farmers market here. We try and shop very early.

      Delete
  4. I love to cook so it's not an issue. I am making sure I am keeping us well stocked. I am sure we will have a second lockdown and want to be better prepared than the first time.
    I am keeping my cans as backup and using as much fresh produce as I can. It is readily available at our place we like. It helps that they are the major suppliers to restaurants but their shop is small and never crowded. The only down side is a lot of the American vegetables have gotten very pricey. But I can work around that.
    We have a weekly local farmers market but am avoiding it as I have heard it is crowded.
    I am going to do a drug store run on Tuesday (senior discount) to stock up on OTC drugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I like to cook and that's not an issue here, just keeping the kitchen cooler. As we are staying in more, fewer trips to the grocery store, I need the pantry full. I love getting the senior discount!

      Delete
  5. We're eating a lot of eggs these days! I also like it when we get take out from one of our favorite restaurants and have enough for three meals. I'm also happy that my husband doesn't mind cereal for dinner. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, we are quite flexible on meals too. Sometimes, but its been awhile, we have breakfast for dinner.

      Delete
  6. yes it's a good idea to have a well-stocked pantry and freezer these days of covid...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........