Friday, January 15, 2021

The Sunday Salon and Weekend Cooking

This is my second time participating with Sunday Salon and I hope to make it a regular thing in 2021, at least a biweekly posting.  It's not as if my time is limited with all the activities, dining out, socializing and parties.....oh wait......we don't do any of those things. Yes, I have time. 

Reading & Planning / My new planner is organized with my lists and cool things in the plastic pocket.  This year I am participating in the nonfiction challenge at ShelleyRae's blog Book'd Out and the historical fiction challenge at Marg's blog The Intrepid Reader. The planner has already been put to good use with bookish plans as well as our appointments and camping plans for 2021.


So far I've linked up with a book each for both challenges. Wine Reads: A Literary Anthology of Wine Reading and The Rose Code by Kate Quinn. Funny (to me) that I read these stories about wine as we are participating in Dry January. That being said, one night we each had two glasses of wine while we enjoyed pizza and a movie but that's been it! So I'm not counting it as a failure for a "slipup" in the first 15 days.

The Rose Code stirred my interest  in the behind the scenes work of code breakers during WW II so that will be one of my nonfiction books upcoming.

Currently reading Dispatches by Michael Herr.  "Dispatches describes the author's experiences in Vietnam as a war correspondent for Esquire magazine. First published in 1977, Dispatches was one of the first pieces of American literature that portrayed the experiences of soldiers in the Vietnam War for American readers."



In the Kitchen /  Some old favorites and a new recipe in the kitchen these past two weeks. These crisp zucchini fries are a nice addition to the plate as they are healthy and light. They are also oven baked, not fried, even though the name suggests a greasy version.


I had planned to make chicken enchiladas and saw this recipe for a beef enchilada casserole at Jinger's site The Intrepid Arkansawyer.  See her post HERE.  What appealed to me was the use of noodles and having something a bit different.  It's very simple to prepare but I think using the medium enchilada sauce made it too hot for us.  Adjust according to your taste if you make it.  Thanks, Jinger!


Espana Chicken made an appearance again. It's been ages since we had this and it was a treat.  I am a big fan of olives so I added extra to the marinade.  Lots of juice for the rice in this dish.



Listening & SippingMusic selections have been all over the board as we've enjoyed Handel, David Gilmour, Eric Clapton and Joe Cocker to name a few.  Well, Joe Cocker was just background music on January 6th as we had one of his CDs on and were looking at our phones, refreshing constantly, as news stories developed. 
The classical music such as Handel or Mozart is great when you are reading together (not phones) or just to sit and chat. 
As I mentioned before, the dry January is working well so...no news from the bar.

That's it for this week. I hope all is well in your world and you and yours are safe and healthy.  Be careful out there! 




 


35 comments:

  1. My planner has just shipped from amazon.com -- they had promised it before the end of 2020, but didn't do it. So I don't have any plans for 2021 yet. And probably won't for quite a while. You look much more organized than I am. I never plan my reading or watching in advance.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I only note books and movies we read/watch. Although I do plan for my Nonfiction challenge reading.
      The mail has been very slow. I sent something my son in Omaha on December 18 & it arrived 3 days ago.

      Delete
  2. Your calendar is just as crowded as ours, not!!! Under lockdown again, cases are out of control.
    Looked for The Rose Code at the library, but it wasn't there.
    Dry January is going well for you. No plans here LOL.
    So sad to see the current events in the States these days.
    Glad you are joining us at Sunday Salon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I hope to keep up with the Salon but we'll see. Not much exciting happening here at home but I am reading quite a bit. When I can tear myself away from the constantly developing news stories I read or walk.
      Loved The Rose Code!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of zucchini fries, I'll keep these in mind. I also enjoy Sunday Salon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, Sunday Salon is new to me and I like it. The zucchini fries are excellent and I hope you try them.

      Delete
  4. I just saved your Espana Chicken recipe, I have all of the ingredients on hand right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it's an easy recipe and so good!

      Delete
  5. Wine Reads was good and Dispatches was EXCELLENT. I read it many years ago, but I remember being moved by it. I've been filling my planner with photos (from an Ivy printer) and memories of the day as well as books read, cleaning routines, and exercise plans. There just aren't that many social plans or appointments. Still, I'm married to my planner. I put the enchiladas and the chicken on my list to try. We've been listening to various jazz playlists on Spotify -- perfect background for reading, cooking, baking, and eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR, I am enjoying Dispatches and there are so many moving moments. Excellent writing. My planner is basically tracking our entertainment on those other pages with the individual day. More room to write.

      Delete
  6. My planner is bare this year. It's funny, because at the beginning of 2020, I thought I'd be efficient and put in all my repeated activities---my weekly meditation group, my monthly meetings...I thought I was being so organized!

    Dry January is a great idea for a challenge. And how odd that you ended up reading Wine Reads this month. I've added it to my wish list.

    Dispatches is another book I'd be interested in reading. One of the best books I've ever read was the fiction book The Things They Carried, set in Vietnam.

    Off to take a close look at Espana Chicken! Hope to see you often, Tina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I have heard of The Things They Carried but I have not read that one yet. Yeah, I thought it was amusing to read about wine as I was abstaining :-)

      Delete
  7. I'm laughing about the "dry" and the wine. Wish I liked wine and beer. They seem so convivial. Actually I can drink red wine, but I can't drink a whole bottle by myself!! in one sitting. Tom doesn't drink it, so I have a bit one night and by the next, and esp the one after next, it just doesn't taste so good. I'm more of a cocktail girl. Very funny about the "socializing" and time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan, you are correct. Wine doesn't hold over well after a few days. I am finding I sleep better without it so...who knows!

      Delete
  8. Yay for planners! Mine has been neglected this week and I really need to update it. I am looking forward to reading The Rose Code. Such an interesting part of history. Dispatches sounds interesting. My dad was a Vietnam War Veteran and so that's a time period I have always been interested in. I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LF - The Rose Code was great. Disatches was very good and I can't imagine what those guys went through. It's well written that book.

      Delete
  9. I have a hankering for Mexican of any description now! Thanks for joining up with Weekend Cooking and the Hist Fic challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, that casserole was a bit too spicy but maybe using a milder sauce will work next time! I also love Mexican food and once things open up again we can go for tacos.

      Delete
  10. This will be my first year using a nice, proper planner. I normally have a diary of sorts, but this year, I can plan to my hearts content!

    Those zucchini chips looks delicious! I'm going to take a look at the recipe now.

    Have a good week, happy planning and enjoy your books!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elza, I was just at your blog and it's a cute format. I do like a good planner and am a stationary store nerd. Ha!

      Delete
  11. I will share the zucchini fries with my daughter, zucchini is her favorite vegetable! Thank you, have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, they are easy to prepare and so good. One day I need to try baking them with Panko.

      Delete
  12. Was Dispatches made into an HBO doc-series? I remember in the early 90s showing it in class to try to do some compare/contrast writing. Love those meals you're producing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra. I'm not sure if they made that into a HBO series or not. It would be interesting.
      The Espana chicken is very good.

      Delete
  13. I love having a planner or as we call it here in Canada, an agenda book. Your zucchini fries looks mouthwatering! Yum. I'm also participating in the Nonfiction challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura, I like that, an agenda book. When we vsited Ireland a place gave me a free diary, same thing. I'm writing in which books I have read for the month and which ones are for the challenges.

      Oh, try those zucchini fries!

      Delete
  14. My calendar/planner is sadly empty, too. I've been filling it lately with some zoom lectures and events...sigh. I don't think one night of wine is a fail and applaud you for participating in Dry January. I thought about it, but...

    Thanks for reminding me about zucchini fries. I was making them a lot last summer, but got out of the habit. Will add it to this week's menu. The enchilada bake looks delicious, too!

    My fingers are crossed for a safe and uneventful inauguration this week. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I sure am not counting it as a fail, just a slip off the wagon. If I can cut back rather than quit altogether I'll be happy.
      I am hoping for a "normal" inauguration as well. What a way to start the year!

      Delete
  15. I love journals and planners so I'm very intrigued by "lists and cool things" in the pocket!

    Dispatches sounds GOOD. Adding it to my TBR.

    I clicked through to the zucchini fries recipe and kudos to the author for including air fryer instructions!!!

    You're welcome for the link to the enchilada elbow bake recipe. I used to be able to eat the hottest of hot sauces but now I'm more of a "mild" enchilada sauce person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinger, I am with you about the hot and spicy i foods. My tolernace is more i the mild range now or I get heartburn. You'll love the zucchini fries. Mmmm..

      I'm a stationarry store nerd and I like a pocket in my planner. Currently residing there are two actuall letters to answer and my Bookcrossing labels. Also a photo of my friend and her family, she sent it to me for New Years.

      Delete
  16. It looks like a good month for reading and eating. Code Girls was a great NF on code breakers in WWII. I really enjoyed it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I am looking forward to reading that one. Hoping all my library holds don't come in all at once.

      Delete
  17. Gosh I love planners! We are travelling fairly well here in Australia so my diary is looking okay but I am so time poor - I wish I had more time to fill out my planner, read books from my book pile and cook. We've just come from a week and a half in Queensland which was wonderful and now it's back to work. Those zucchini fries look absolutely scrumptious and thank you for sharing your reading recommendations, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katerina, I'm glad you got out to Queensland, that sounds like a good trip. I do love a planner and own way too many notebooks. It's always hard to find time to read all the books in the pile or list! Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  18. I tried to suggest a dry January last year, it didn't go well with my boyfriend. If he just doesn't like the buzz, I'll try another month ^^ Those fried zucchinis look good, even if we'll have to wait some more to get fresh zucchinis here, they're only frozen these days but I'm keeping this in mind, since we have a fries maker that can bake vegetables too ^^

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........