Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Casserole

Today our 46th president of the United States was sworn in.  I look forward to decency restored in the White House and will watch the swearing in on the many videos I'm sure will be available later today.  Let's hope 2021 can treat us better from this day onwards!

Maybe now I can concentrate on my foodie and book postings.  So much going on but it's not only the news that's had me distracted. We still miss Aja very much and miss having a canine companion. Mostly, we just miss her. We thought about adopting again and realized it was too soon; that was last month. We are back to looking again and that's had both of us preoccupied.  That's another path to explore.

Speaking of the foodie posts, I have a "new to me" recipe that's been languishing in a folder. Each time I copy a recipe I want to try it ends up in this folder. For whatever reason, I forget to look in it and check. With time on my hands I went through it, tossed some and pulled others out. Here's one that appealed to me and we both liked it.

Skillet chicken with rice and veggies.



With a skillet meal so you won't have lots of pots and pans to wash up. I substituted short grain rice for the long grain and added more mushrooms.  You could adapt per your taste.

 Chicken, Rice and Vegetable Casserole

2 slices of bacon, chopped

6 chicken thighs

1 cup long grain rice (substituted short grain)

1 small red or green bell pepper, chopped (I used a bit of both red & green)

1 small onion, chopped

1 cup mushrooms (I used almost two cups)

1 carrot peeled and finely chopped

1 1/2 cups chicken broth

1/2 cup white wine

salt and pepper to taste

2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage, or 3/4 tsp died sage

sweet paprika

Method

In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.  Add chicken and brown lightly on both sides; remove to plate.  Add rice to skillet and stir until brown (just a minute or so).

Add bell pepper, onions, mushrooms, carrot, broth, wine, salt, pepper and sage. Stir until well mixed. Arrange chicken thighs on top then sprinkle with paprika.

Cover and simmer until chicken and rice are done, roughly 35 to 40 minutes.



Sharing with Marg at
The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.



15 comments:

  1. This looks like a recipe anyone would enjoy, a comfort food. Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it's defintely comfort food and easy to prepare.

      Delete
  2. Looks good but I'd leave those yucky mushrooms out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to say that when my Patches went to the Rainbow Bridge, I didn't want another got either. But since I had lost my husband 8 months before, the house felt very lonely and quite and my son kept telling me a dog would help me heal. I ended up looking for a big dog that I could walk around the neighborhood but ended up getting a tiny 10 lb. dog. I knew she was the dog I was meant to have even though she wasn't what I was looking for. And yes, she helped me heal.

      Delete
    2. WOW! I meant dog not "got"

      Delete
    3. Vicki, I knew what you meant! We are actively trying to find a dog and I know when the right one comes along we will know. There are so many people looking at dogs these days and we have been a little late getting in line. One day...

      Oh, you can substitute those mushrooms for your favored veg or something!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you're looking for another companion. I think the timing is different for everyone and I know you'll find someone great to go camping with you! I desperately miss having a dog but our pre-Covid/cancer lives didn't really work for one and as tempting as it is to get one now it just wouldn't be fair. Though I do get a dog fix every week or two with the therapy dog at clinic! I think I get more out of him then Will does! This looks good and now that I'm cooking again I'll have to save this though I'm with Vicky and will leave out the yucky mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I'm glad you get the dog fix and when you are ready you'll have to be sure the dog gets along with cats!

      Delete
  4. Yes, it will be good to have responsible leadership and not worry every day about how they are destroying our country. The new administration really does have a big job, but I think they will do what needs doing.

    be safe...mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, and decency as well. It amazed me how many people could overlook his ridicule of others never minnd the fiasco with the pandemic.

      Delete
  5. We watched to inauguration and kept saying how classy and decent it all was. With the pandemic precautions to follow they did a great job in everything.
    We haven't had pets since we downsized and travelled extensively but since we have been more or less housebound for almost a year John is making noises about cats/dog but I am not listening!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, if you are going to resume traveling again soon I probably wouldn't get a pet. We want one to take camping and walking.
      I agree, they handled the inaugeration well and I'm glad it's done now.

      Delete
  6. Always good to have a one dish chicken meal. This looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great! I love one-pan meals. My Weekend Cooking post was about going through old stuff and clearing out, too! It's the kind of chore my husband and I avoided for years by leaving the house, and now we can't. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........