Sunday, January 24, 2021

Sunday Salon, Cloudy and 61 degrees in North Florida
{ Reading, eating and dog news }

Noon on Sunday, 61 F/ 17 C degrees and cloudy in north Florida. We've been on two fairly lengthy walks and have been to the park. That's good for us - cutting back to one cup of coffee helped get us out earlier. 

Food and Drink Doug makes great French toast, this time using Brioche. We had another cup of coffee with that so...still cutting back on the caffeine. Two cups instead of three is a start :-)


  BB37257F-C30C-471F-8EC7-7DF76D7A2B6B

Besides a few good breakfast meals we recently had Skillet Chicken, Rice and veggies, grilled wings and homemade cole slaw. Plans for a Nigella recipe are in the works for later. One from her latest cookbook Cook, Eat, Repeat which I received from NetGalley.

.

slaw1

Books  / I finished Dispatches since the last linkup and have moved to another nonfiction called Clanlands but it's not grabbing me.  

 

Well, I should say I was very engaged at first but the ribbing back and forth between the two authors, Graham McTavish and Sam Heughan of the Outlander series, just got old.  I wanted to read about their journey around Scotland and while it was funny the first time Heughan called McTavish Lady Latte it wore thin after the tenth or so time. There is travel and history in this book but it wasn't meant for me to finish as I was distracted.


Next up is House of Correction by Nicci French and The Olive Harvest by Carol Drinkwater.



Canine news / Well I don't have any to speak of as it's always "we have two other applications ahead of you and I'll let you know if the dog gets adopted." That about sums it up.  It seems since covid adoptions went up and there aren't as many dogs available.  That's great!  What I worry about is a mass return of dogs and cats when people go back to their lives as it was before.
Yes, there are many in the shelters but as we get older we don't want a dog which will outlive us so we are looking at adults. If we wanted a pit bull then there is no shortage, poor things. 

For what it's worth, we did visit a shelter in Thomasville Georgia.  Took a nice ride up there and looked at two dogs. One is smallish about 16 pounds. They took us in a yard so we could interact and the dog tried to bite Doug. It went crazy at a fence as they "dog tested" it to see if he could get along with others.  Nope. 

That's it for this week. I hope all is well in your world and you and yours are safe and healthy.  Be careful out there! 



12 comments:

  1. My husband and I haven't walked in more than a week. My husband hurt his back (putting Christmas decorations back up in the attic!) and he hasn't felt like walking. You have inspired me, though, and I'm going to walk by myself this afternoon!

    That French toast looks wonderful. (I generally wait to drink my coffee and eat my breakfast until we get back home.)

    It's interesting that you are reading Olive Harvest. That's the only one of the series, I think, that I haven't read. The author is Carol Drinkwater, and she was in the original All Creatures Great and Small series that we are watching.

    I do hope you are able to find a good dog. It's a shame that you haven't had very good luck so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm sorry to hear that about the back injury. Those can take a bit to recover from and I hope he's better soon.
      I love Carol Drinkwater & follow her on Twitter, have read all in the series except the last one.

      Delete
  2. The French toast and coleslaw looks really good.

    I ordered Dispatches from Thriftbooks and hope to get to it soon.

    My son and daughter in law had 2 pit bulls when the had 2 very young children and I was worried at first because of all the terrible things I heard about them. But they were the most friendly, calm dogs. They were great with the kids and everyone else. They had them until after the kids graduated high school and then one died and a year later the other died. We were all so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. vicki, its an intense read and I hope you like it.

      Its always so sad when a pet dies and I admit to crying over other people's dogs!

      Delete
  3. Good luck with finding a dog! My dog is part pit bull, and she’s awesome. She’s very stupid, but she’s sweet and quiet and good with the toddler. I love French toast! I haven’t had it in over a year because I’m on a low-calorie diet. It’s one of the things I miss. Have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AJ, we hadn't had French toast in a while and it was a treat. I am trying to walk more and lose some of those pounds though!
      I'm glad your pup is a sweetie. As we get older I need to think of how much dog can I control if it sees a squirrel!

      Delete
  4. I wish you luck finding a rescue dog! Here in Michigan, so many people want to adopt pets that they have special dog vans, and even flights, from other states where there are too many adoptable dogs. (The explanation seems to be that Michigan has a very successful spay-and-neuter program that keeps the number of unwanted puppies low, while some other states don't do that as successfully.) I have two neighbors and one relative who all managed to find new dogs to adopt, so I hope it also works for you!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I suppose whe the right one comes along we will get a dog. We certainly are looking. There is a good program in the local area for spay and neuter but obviously there are folks who don't avail themselves of the service.

      Delete
  5. I've also been wondering if shelters will fill up after the pandemic is over and people go back to offices. And those poor pit bulls! Your food always looks delicious... haven't made French toast in ages, but it may be time. Did you check out The Bookshelf in Thomasville? I'll get there one of thee days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I completely forgot about the Bookshelf when we were up there. I was focused on the humane socierty and then I was ravenous so we headed straight home. Also forgot to stop for gas as it was chaeper there. Single focused!
      I do feel bad for the surplus of pit bulls but I can't hold back that much muscle, as I saw today at the dog park when we met a friend.

      Thanks about the food. The French toast was a special treat.

      Delete
  6. That slaw looks delicious! I've started making our French Toast with Trader Joe's brioche and it's so much better than using regular bread. Love it!

    We're trying to get out for our walks between rain showers. Got home yesterday right as it started to hail. Glad we were caught in that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. French toast with brioche sounds amazing! No one here eats French toast (because they're very very weird) so I only get it when we go out for breakfast and it's such a treat. So glad to see you mention Nigella! I had been meaning to pull out my cookbooks from her to go through. I might put them on my desk before we head to Memphis so I don't forget when I get back. So sorry the dog search is so tricky but I know it will be worth it when you find the perfect dog. I do want to go to Thomasville though. There's supposed to be an amazing bookstore there. Have you looked at specific breed rescues? My sister-in-law is connected with both a doberman and minpin group on Facebook and they both seem to do a lot of transporting. You might find a group for Shibas since you've had some experience with the breed.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........