Saturday, January 30, 2021

Beef Lombardi

It's almost 1:00 in the afternoon, 61 degrees and sunny in north Florida. We have had our share of rain the last few days so I'm glad it's warmer and sunny now.  

We had severe storms a few days ago an a tornado touched down at Tallahassee airport, destroying a plane. The shrill alarm on our phones scares hell out me when it goes off but I am thankful there is some sort of warning. The weather changes so rapidly here. One day I am walking with short sleeves and the next I have a coat and scarf.

Anyway.......my intention was to share this new (to us) recipe earlier in the week but life intervened.  Probably a better post for the Sunday Salon 😖




The recipe for  Beef Lombardi had been sitting in my folder of recipes to try for years. In an effort to go through the folder and other clutter,  I pulled out a small stack of the copied recipes. Some were tossed (why did I ever think I wanted to make that) and some made to the let's-try-something-new section in the kitchen.

This is a winner.



This would be easy enough to make when we camp, adapting it using a skillet instead of baking.  It makes such a great amount that it's likely I'll  prepare it at home and bring leftovers to heat.  The recipe can be googled and you'll get the exact same ingredients everywhere.  Check it out HERE

NOTE: the only adaption I made was to substitute the Rotel tomatoes for regular canned tomatoes, measuring out 10 ounces from the second can of tomatoes.  Seems spicy chilies are not agreeing with ur stomaches these days.  If you like a kick to your food, use the Rotel, but our casserole came out well using the milder tomatoes.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.



28 comments:

  1. That looks really good, I may add it to my "make soon" menu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I had thought I saw the recipe on your site but I couldn't find it, searching your blog. I must have been thinkning about when you made Johnny Marzetti.

      Delete
  2. This is looks like a great pantry type meal. And I agree that you could make this in a skillet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR, I will post on how the skillet version works if we go camping during cool weather and I make it again. It's a great taste combo.

      Delete
  3. Tina, try this recipe for curry chicken, we think it is just like Chinese takeaway.
    https://dinnerthendessert.com/easy-curry-chicken/
    This beef sounds like a good comfort meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, thank you! I will try it. We like making fake away at home so we can avoid restaurants.

      Delete
  4. This sounds like one that will make it to my to do list. Good comfort food for chilly weather. Yes, in Hawaii too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, I probably won't make this in the summer but it surely is comfort food now.

      Delete
  5. Remember the fictional character who was astounded to discover that he was speaking in prose? I feel like that -- I have often made beef casseroles with tomatoes and cheeses (whatever I had on hand, though) and noodles. But I never heard that it was called Beef Lombardi! Sounds good; I'll be making things like that when I start using meat again.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I saw the recipe and wondered about the title and how it could be different from other toss together casseroles. Apparently there was a restaurant in NYC which made it famous in 1897 BUT other reported orgins of the name claim a different origin. I will have to read about it.

      Delete
  6. Looks good, perfect for a weeknight meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, it is super easy, just a toss tgether casserole.

      Delete
  7. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, thank you and also for hosting. I get many new ideas from Weekend Cooking series.

      Delete
  8. Tina,
    As you probably know, I am a vegetarian but I can still recognize a good recipe when I see one. I'll pass this on to my meat eating kids who are bearing down for a big snowstorm tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, this could be adapted using vegetarian mince. I know some folks don't like the TVP though. I do like the Boca burders.
      Good luck with that snow storm, yikes!

      Delete
  9. That looks wonderful! I'm like you, with regard to saving recipes. I went through my folders a month or so ago and tossed out dozens of recipes, wondering why in the world I thought I would ever make those meal items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les, the clutter I cause saving things for "maybe I'll try that" is astounding!

      Delete
  10. My husband would love this casserole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, it's a good one for basic pantry and fridge items I usually have on hand. Quick too.

      Delete
  11. It's time to looks through that folder of recipes I keep tucking away again. I always come across a few that make me wonder what I was thinking when I saved them! Bet my husband would love that beef dish, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, there were a few recipes that had me wondering why oh why! I am bad about cleaning the folder out and hoope to do better this year,

      Delete
  12. Sounds delicious and I will follow your lead with regular tomatoes. The last time I made a recipe with Rotel I didn't like the spiciness of it, even though I do like spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinger, I think this is so creamy and I can do without the kick of heat lately!

      Delete
  13. is that pasta i see in the photo? this looks very hearty. mm might have to wait till winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, yes this would be a great winter confort food dish. Love me some pasta!

      Delete
  14. I'm slowly getting back into cooking and this looks like a recipe I'd like to try. I'm trying to weed out my recipe boards on Pinterest which are so huge they are unmanageable. I cleared a few pins with the same "Why did I ever think I'd want to make that?" thoughts that you had with your cards.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........