Wednesday, February 03, 2021

February Update on books, food and a shelter doggie

It was a rainy Sunday here in Havana Florida so I had time to sit down at the keyboard for a bit. We don't usually have a lot going on,  our days follow a laid back routine of sipping coffee, walking, eating second breakfast, maybe going to the park for a walk...like that.  So when I wrote this on Sunday, it was a day to stay indoors.

New event / This weekend we had a home visit from the humane society with a little dog who (hopefully) may become part of the family. My better sense told me not to mention it yet for fear of a jinx. Update! - Since I started this post a few days ago, we have been approved to adopt the dog! More on that later......


Bookish things / When Wordpress aggravated me I started anew at Blogspot.  So I moved some of my favorite authors/reviews to Turn the Page and have been happy with the ease of posting. I try and keep this site for foodie and life posts but sometimes I cross link. Anyway.......

I read quite a bit of Clanlands by Graham McTavish and then abandoned it. Meh.

 Finished up House of Corrections by Nicci French and am almost done witn The Letter by Ruth Saberton.  Next up on deck is Carol Drinkwater's book The Olive Harvest, The Vines by Shelley Nolden and Nigella Lawson's new cookbook Cook, Eat, Repeat.




Food /  We had a few comfort meals.  This Cottage Pie is a knockoff of the Shepherd's Pie recipe my frined Jo shared, just used beef instead of lamb. Hence the name Cottage. Lots of gravy and plenty of leftovers.



 A Sweet and Spicy Noodle dish that's different each time we make it. 


Doug made some pot stickers to go along with the meal.


This recipe appeared in the New York Times.  I have made adaptions and used tofu one time and this time I used boneless chicken. You can add any favorite veg such as broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, mushrooms or whatever you have on hand.  A can of water chestnuts went well in this dish.


Sweet and Spicy Noodles
 
Ingredients
1.5 lb extra firm tofu, drained (this time I used chicken)
2 tbsp canola oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 packages ramen noodles
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (1-inch) piece of ginger, thinly sliced
1 small bunch of scallions
⅓ cup tamari 
3 tbsp dark brown sugar
pinch of red pepper flakes



Instructions
Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes. Heat a large cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the canola oil and 1 tbsp of the sesame oil to the pan. Once hot and shimmering, add the tofu in a single layer and fry on all sides, turning as needed, until golden. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and repeat with remaining tofu. Set aside.

Cook the ramen according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water to prevent the noodles from sticking. Set aside.

Add the remaining tbsp of sesame oil, garlic, ginger, and scallion whites to the pan.
Add the noodles to the pan along with the soy sauce, brown sugar, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Toss until the noodles are completely coated in the sauce. Toss in the tofu and scallion greens. 

Shortcut that worked for me - I had prechopped all the veggies and chicken.  I cooked the chicken in sesame oil for a few minutes then added all of veggies and water chestnuts. 













18 comments:

  1. Really good to find your forever doggie! I hope this goes perfectly and that you bond incredibly. I look forward to blog posts about your joint adventures.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, we are excited. I know there will be a transition for the little guy as he was in a shelter before. He will want for nothing :-)

      Delete
  2. The dog is SO CUTE! I can't wait for updates and more photos! I know it's emotional with you still missing Aja, but that little doggy will will help you heal, just like my Kaiyo did for me when I lost my Patches. ♥

    The Sweet and Spicy Noodles may be going on my list to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I'm glad to hear that about Kaiyo. This fellow was passed over at the shelter because he's timid, maybe had a rough start in life, so he ended up at the Humane Society instead of being put down. There will never be another Aja but we have much love to share with another doggie. More later!

      Delete
  3. What an adorable dog. I can't wait to hear more about his life with you.

    I wonder if I could find Cook, Eat, Repeat at my library.

    I seem to find the best recipes from my blogging friends. Have a great week, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I don't thinkj the Nigella book is out yet, I received it from Netgalley as an ARC.
      I hope to post many stories and events with our new pup Loki. We are supposed to get him today.

      Delete
    2. I will put Cook, Eat, Repeat on my list to look for it after it's published.

      Delete
  4. Hooray - you got approved for the pup! What a cutie.. can't wait to hear all about it.

    You've been reading a lot of books lately! It feels like I've got a combination of super-long book and slow reading going on now, but I am loving The Warmth of Other Suns.

    I saved that noodle recipe from the NYTimes, too, and hope to make it next week. My husband will be glad to know that it worked with chicken... he's not wild about tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I have made the noodle dish with both tofu and chicken and I prefer the chicken. I think small cuts of beef would work too.
      We are very happy with our new addtion to the family. He was skiddish and is coming around but you can tell his joy at being ina home where he gets regular meals and toys. I'll do a post about him soon.

      My reading has slowed down now!

      Delete
  5. I like second breakfast, especially on Sundays. It's my favorite kind of breakfast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryan, me too! It spaces out the meals so I don't get hungry.

      Delete
  6. How exciting!!! Congrats on the new puppers!

    That cottage pie looks delicious! I haven't made one for a while, I think I may need to this week! :)

    Have a good one, and enjoy your new furry family member!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cracker, Thanks so much! It's been an adjustment period and we aren't a tight family yet but I know the pup wants it to work.

      I highly recommend the cottahe pie if yu have chilly weather.

      Delete
  7. The new puppy looks adorable, he is lucky to get such a good home.
    House of Correction is new to me, just bookmarked it at the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I don't like all of the Nicci French novels but this one grabbed me.
      The new pup has some history and gets scared sometimes but we are hoping to work through it.

      Delete
  8. Ooooh I missed that Nigella had a new cookbook out. I'll have to look for it. Love the new puppy way too cute. I like the New York Times, but for some reason, I almost always have to make changes or adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely little dog, I hope you'll be happy together. All of my pets have always been rescue pets too :) I love Asian food, I often cook noodles with vegetables, garlic and ginger for my eldest daughter (and ourselves !). Have a great week, can't wait to hear about the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So happy about your new little addition. Can't wait for an update!!!! This noodle recipes sounds great and so adaptable. Looking forward to your next doggie post!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........