Friday, March 18, 2022

VW Camper Cookbook - Goat Cheese and Basil Risotto

The VW Camper Cookbook was one of the cool cookbooks I found at My Favorite Books, a locally owned second hand bookstore.  Lots of good finds in places like this.


There are loads of recipes and all are fairly simple as they are adapted to campground cooking.  Some of the recipes use convenience foods but overall it's fresh ingredients which can easily be packed for a trip.


There are also many cute photos of various old VW buses in locations around the world.

 The first recipe I wanted to try was the goat's cheese and basil risotto.  This is a vegetarian recipe but I suppose you could adapt it to your tastes if you wanted to add anything.  We had it as a side with grilled chicken, green beans and a squash casserole.


The recipes are perfect for camping and I think I will keep this book in the RV.

Basil Goat Cheese Risotto

1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 1/2 cups water (I used broth)
1 cube vegetable stock
2 ounces goat cheese (I used 4 ounces)
freshly cut and chopped basil

I wasn't sure about the measurements or translation of such so I opted to add more liquid and used a broth rather than a vegetable cube.  Those cubes tend to be salty.

My goat cheese was in a four ounce package and I didn't do the conversion from grams to ounces so...I used double.  It was good.

This could be a vegetarian lunch meal on it's own with a salad or sliced tomato.  It held up well as a leftover and was still creamy the next day.

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.








7 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a 70's VW van! Now I want this cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice simple yet delicious looking recipe that sounds perfect for camping. The cookbook sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the VW vans on the cover! Campground recipes are always welcome around here and this risotto sounds yummy -- I bet it was creamy with the goat cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted one of these vans too! That risotto sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great find! During my single years, I so wanted a VW camper....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw your comment on my blog from early February. You're welcome for the recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love a good risotto in our house, although we do tend to be baked risotto people!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........