Monday, September 12, 2022

Alice in Wonderland #CookTheBooks

Alice in Wonderland by British author Lewis Carroll is the book selection for August/September at Cook the BooksTo join in get a copy of the book, read it then prepare a dish inspired from the book.

Our host is Debra at Eliot’s Eats and you can check out the announcement post HERE.
  

Ok, let's go down the rabbit hole!


This book was a trip.  If you've ever listened to Jefferson Airplane's song White Rabbit it will sum up the feeling of traveling with Alice. 🐇

I think most people think of the tea party when conjuring images of Alice in Wonderland.   Some of the references to food I noted were orange marmalade, bottles of liquid which tasted of cherry tart, custard, pineapple, roast turkey, toffee and hot buttered toast.

There were also cookies and cherry tarts, cakes and butter, wine, bread and mushrooms. The mushrooms were featured quite a few times with the caterpillar explaining one side of the mushroom makes you grow taller but the opposite side makes you smaller.

So....anyone who knows me, including my friends who are not fans of the 'shroom, won't be surprised that I chose a mushroom based dish.  


This is called One Pot Mushroom by Mary McCartney from her cookbook Food. It's vegetarian and made a wonderful side dish.

The steam coming off the pot doesn't exactly help with the photo.


One-Pot Mushroom Rice
Mary McCartney - Food

3 TB light olive oil
3 medium red onions, chopped finely
8 ounces button, cremini or portobello muchrooms, chopped
2 tsp. fresh herbs
1 TB tamari or soy
1 cup ling grain rice
2 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup frozen peas
salt and pepper, to taste
grated Parmesan cheese or sharp cheddar

Heat olive oil, stir in onions and saute 8 minutes. Next stir in mushrooms, herbs and tamari. Saute about 10 minutes so everything blends.

Add rice and stir well until coated. Pour in vegetable stock and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Stir in peas and heat through; season with salt and pepper.
Serve topped with grated cheese or a spoonful of sour cream if desired.

There is still time to join in at Cook the Books!

Sharing with









24 comments:

  1. Hi Tina! Oh this is so clever and it can only be fun. I'm a huge mushroom fan (love how you got to that through Alice in Wonderland!) and will definitely safe your recipe.

    Have a good week ahead!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elza, i have many mushroom-heavy dishes on this blog. I am a fan too. :-)

      Delete
  2. That mushroom rice dish looks good. I'm liking mushrooms more and more as I get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I'm glad you like this one. I always add extra mushrooms in any recipe that calls for them.

      Delete
  3. When the men on the chessboard
    Get up and tell you where to go
    And you've just had some kind of mushroom
    And your mind is moving low
    Go ask Alice
    I think she'll know ...
    Feed your head
    Feed your head

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not a fan of mushrooms but I love your take on this! My first thought would have been the tea party or a tart of some kind so I had to laugh when I saw your direction. I have never been able to get into the actual book - not sure if it's because I didn't read it until I was an adult or if's just not my kind of thing.
    PS we got the Harry Potter card and it's amazing! Will still has it opened out in his room so he can see Hogwart's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I thought I would do a tea party kinda treat but I did enjoy the caterpiller's role in this book. Glad the card arrived! I love that one but I am a huge Potter fan.

      Delete
  5. Fun! I'm not a mushroom fan but can tolerate them if there's enough other stuff going on in a dish. Lots of onions and fresh herbs would definitely do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, you could definitely cut back on any ingredienst and add your favorites.

      Delete
  6. Very clever to go with mushrooms! This looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - This was a dish I'd had in mind for a while but once I started reading about the caterpiller I knew this would be the dish!

      Delete
  7. Perfect, especially for a mushroom lover! I pick them in the wild (do the spore, gills, etc. tests first) and make dishes my husband puts up with. He can't see the point of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, I wouldn;t know how to check a wild mushroom, impressive you can do that. Fortunately Doug and i both like mushrooms!

      Delete
  8. Yum.Two of the three of us in this house are mushroom fans so Iwill save this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went the magical mushroom route too. This dish sounds delicious! Welcome back to CTB as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debra. The book selections have been great this year. It's fun to participate again. Yes to mushrooms all the way!!

      Delete
  10. I love mushrooms too and this dish sounds delicious. The book certainly was a trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. Indeed that was a trippy book!

      Delete
  11. Great choice of recipe, Tina. I like the combination of mushrooms and peas: will have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simona, thanks much, mushrooms are a favorite ingredient in our house.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........