Friday, September 16, 2022

FDR State Park in Georgia
{the good, the bad and the ugly}
Worst. Birthday. Ever.

For Doug's birthday this year he wanted to take the RV up to F.D.R state park in Pine Mountain Georgia. That's a 3 1/2 hour drive northward from our home. This is the lake in the campground and our site was near it.  



Day one: we check in and find our site had a lake view. The site in front of ours was staggered enough so we could see the lake. Then the people in front pulled in and, for some reason, pulled so far up that all we could see was the back of their RV. 
They were nice folks though.  

About 4 hours after hooking up I was hit with a severe case of allergies.  Apparently the pollens there were still flourishing.  My eyes started swelling. I'd forgotten my ReFresh eye drops and didn't have any Benadryl. Ugh.

Day two: We walk around the loops of the campground and I see The Country Store up on a hill. Yes!  I will see if they have Benadryl and walk back, get my wallet. The store is closed Monday through Wednesday. 😭 In the course of our walk we start talking to the nicest lady in the world and she had some great stories. 

Inside the RV - We notice some water coming out from under the sink area in the RV. I didn't pack any additional paper towels :-( Dish towels are employed.  It's just a little bit of water.

Day three: My eyes are so puffy and swollen I can't even read.  I always read when camping!! Doug offered to cut the trip short and head home but it's his birthday week and it's such a long drive.  All I need is allergy meds so I called the office (way to far to walk back) and ask if there is pollen or what is going on.  Yes, they confirm it's getting near end of their blooming season. 

 "Do you have Benadryl?" "No, sorry but if you come to the office someone here probably has some allergy meds."  I consider breaking into the Country Store.  The nice lady asks me how I'm faring and realizes she has Benadryl. She gave me one to try and it started working.  Still swollen but a bit better. The Country Store will be open in the morning and I'll get meds. 
 Doug offers again to cut the trip short but tomorrow is his birthday and we have steaks to grill and had plans. Nice lady comes back with more Benadryl so I won't have to purchase any.  Yes!

More water is coming out from the sink area but we can't see a leak. WTF.

 
Day four: Happy birthday to my sweet husband!  He gets up first and steps on the soaked rug in front of the sink/stove area. Soaked. Hey, we can make it another day then get it repaired when we get home.

We sit and enjoy coffee. Planning on a second breakfast of pancakes and bacon.  The people in front of us are leaving so we will have our lake view back for our last day. 

Then the electricity went out. A power pole went down. Another camper (who had a vehicle) drove up to the office to see what was going on and they informed him they didn't know when it would be repaired, they had to install something by hand (???!!) because they didn't have any equipment. I'm not making this up. 
So we decide to pack up and go home.

Poor Doug, worst birthday ever.  But wait!!

When we get home and he gets a call from the doctor's office, confirming his biopsy results are back and he has Basel cell carcinoma.  Surgery set for October.

That's the latest from the RV adventures. I'm glad to be home.  We did have a nice evening at home last night.  Grilled the steaks, enjoyed drinks and listened to music. Went to bed early.  
Ok, here are a few photos I took at the campground.  Didn't get many.

Beauty berries are abundant in this campground.  We have them all over our field at home too.


This bird was magnificent.  I enjoyed watching it stalk the shoreline.


Taking flight.


Oh, advice to anyone who wants to go RVing.  Don't buy new - despite the warranties.  Don't go to Camping World because you will end up disappointed. Buy used and get an independent RV repair company to look over the rig first.  Or buy a vacation condo!  Haha



12 comments:

  1. That's good advice, about not buying new. There always seem to be good deals around on used ones. Very tempting! I'm sorry you guys had such rotten luck on your camping attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, if someone is selling their RV/travel trailer then they are soooo ready to get rid of it and will just about always take less than their asking price. All the things that can go wrong with new ones happen that first year and that can be frustrating. We ended up having a good tiime once home with good food and drinks!

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about all the troubles you had. Hope the leak is an easy fix. Poor eyes, what a way to spend your time away. I hope Doug enjoyed some of the trip! Praying for a good report after his surgery. My husband had Squamous Cell on his face, stomach and back but the Dr. cut it out instead of doing surgery because of his being a quadriplegic. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Doug very much enjoyed the park and with Benadryl I was able to have some relief. Guess I'll be taking allergy meds with me whenever we camp as, you never know. Thanks also for the good wishes about the surgery - I have had both basel and squamous and caught early, easily managed. What a birthday week!!

      Delete
  3. That sounds like a terrible streak of bad stuff! We are having a pretty dramatic pollen season too -- really hard to take. And what a diagnosis, besides all the rest. Luckily, it's the most unaggressive form of skin cancer, if I understand correctly, and I hope he's able to recover without any issues. I wish you many much better birthdays.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, indeed that was a bad steak of anything that could go wrong - did! Thanks for your good wishes :-)

      Delete
  4. oh dear that sounds awful. And how awful for your hubby with that diagnosis. I remember camping years ago; we were the only ones there but another car of campers turned up and put their tent up right in front of us! Grrr! Hope you're both feeling fine now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, what is with people?! That's so close to set up if you have the park to yourself!!

      Delete
  5. Yikes! That was indeed a most annoying camping trip! I'm glad you were finally able to get some Benadryl relief. Best wishes for Doug and his surgery!

    Those berries and birds are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jinjer, it was one of our worst trips for sure but hope we can things sorted. Thanks for your nice comment. I have been keeping you in my thoughts.

      Delete
  6. Oh no what a trip! Allergies are the worst! We ended up getting rid of the motor home because it seemed like every time we took a trip it seemed we spent a fortune in repairing something or other. I hope Doug's surgery goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, the alllergies were the worst reaction I have ever had. I don't blame you for getting rid of the RV.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........