Thursday, September 29, 2022

Reading and Sipping

This has been a bad week for Florida with the unwelcome arrival of Hurricane Ian.  The photos and videos I have seen are very bad. Thinking about you JoAnn and hope you won't be displaced too long. 

Here's my very short roundup this week. 

Sipping / JP Chenet sparkling Chardonnay

This was a sparkling wine I picked up on impulse. Doug wasn't in the mood for wine but I was so I thought, who cares if I drink a glass or two and can't save it. I had been looking forward to this new-to-me Chardonnay. Well, it's quaffable and refreshing and with the exception of one glass he imbibed,  I did indeed finish it. That was not the plan. Was it worth the thick head the next day - jury is out on that one :-)   I'd definitely get this again if we are sharing a bottle. Gearing up for serious cutback soon.


Reading/ I've started Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney.  She hasn't let me down with her novels and mystery plots.  His and Hers is particularly good with an ending you won't see coming.

Just finished Mastering the Art of French Murder.
The setting is Paris 1949.  Julia Child is the star of this historical fiction which is also a cozy sort of mystery.  Normally I like a gritter mystery novel but this was a pleasant beach-read kinda book. There are scenes in the Parisian markets, Le Cordon Bleu and Julia's tiny kitchen at Montmartre.

Julia becomes friends with Tabitha, another American living in Paris. The murder mystery is fairly tame and the plot predictable.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced readers copy of this novel.  This will be published April 25, 2023 by Kensington Books. Genre: Historical Fiction and Mystery.


Linking with:






12 comments:

  1. Reading while sipping is the only way to read, whether coffee, tea, or sparkling wine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Sometimes I Lie and loved it. I've wanted to read her other books but they keep getting lost in the mountains of books on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been watching the Hurricane Ian coverage. I hope you and JoAnn are both okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're still on the road, so I'm only able to read about the hurricane online (we don't watch local or national tv in the rv). My heart goes out to JoAnn and all those who have lost or suffered damage to their homes. Such an awful storm!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mastering the Art of French Murder looks good! I might have to pick it up since books that are due out in 2023 don't count! I'm on the waitlist for the audio of Daisy Darker and am looking forward to it. It looks interesting and I've really been wanting to read something by the author. It looks like Ian decided to give you a bit of a miss! I'm hoping that the damage doesn't prove to be to extensive for those in its path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like a pretty far-fetched novel. For one thing, Julia Child lived on Rue de l’Univerite which is nowhere near Montmartre, but I guess fiction is fiction. Also wine. Is wine.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice Chardonnay. And ooh Daisy Darker. I kinda want to read that one too, it sounds so atmospheric! Speaking of Mastering the Art , I just saw that one on another blog too, so you're not alone! :) It looks great.

    Be safe and yes sneding lots of prayers and well wishes for those affected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mastering the Art of French Murder sounds intriguing. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wine looks good and so does Mastering the Art of French Murder. I think I'd like both :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a couple Feeney books on my TBR - and now I've added your rec of His and Hers to the list. I promise myself to read at least one next year!! Thanks for stopping by. Have a great week and enjoy a good book!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the Chardonnay looks good. So glad you enjoyed it and shared it with us.

    I like the sound of Mastering the Art of French Murder. Julia Child would make a great character.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to read Mastering the Art of French Murder. Got knocked back for it at Netgalley so I guess Iwill just have to wait until it comes out!

    Thanks for sharing this review with the Historical Fiction Reading Challenge

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........