Friday, December 16, 2022

Chicken Stew from Taste of Home

This chicken stew recipe is super easy with ingredients you probably have in your fridge and pantry.  It's a stove top meal using one pan.  What could be easier.

This is one I'd put on my camping meal list as easy-to-prepare. You can cut up the veggies and chicken in advance.  I don't think I'd pre-cut the potatoes as they would turn brown.


This amount lasted us for two dinners easily.  Serve with homemade bread and you're likely to stretch it for two dinners and a lunch portion.

The first night I wasn't sure about the brothy thickness so I set down a spoon and fork.  You'll only need the spoon :-) If it's too thick for your taste add a bit more broth.



Chicken Stew from Taste of Home : One-Pan Recipes

1/3 cup of all purpose flour
Salt and pepper
One and a half pounds of boneless skinless chicken, cut into little pieces 
3 TB butter
1 onion, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
3 medium carrots, cut into small slices
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp thyme
1 TB ketchup
1 TB cornstarch

In a large dish combine flour, salt and pepper. Add chicken, turning to coat.

In large skillet or Dutch oven melt butter.  Cook chicken until done.  Add onion and celery.  Stir approximately 3 minutes then add potatoes and carrots.

In a small bowl combine broth, ketchup, thyme and cornstarch.  Stir into skillet/pot.  Bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 - 20 minutes until veggies are tender.

Linking up with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.





18 comments:

  1. I love soup/stew and this looks so good. I've been terrible about posting for many months but I'm going to try to try to post more often in '23.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, this is a good recipe and we like it alot. Don't worry about posting if you don't feel like it. I took a break and thought of abandoning the site but after a while I missed it. This should be fun so, post when yoou like! :-)

      Delete
    2. Vicki, I forgot to mention that I can't comment on your blog! I keep getting a message that I used "Too Many Attempts, Try Again Later" so...just wanted you to know.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make beef stew, but I've never considered making chicken stew. This sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, we like beef stew as well. This one is very good.

      Delete
  4. Sounds delicious! I love soups and stews this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, it's certainly chilly enough for hot soups and stews! This is a good recipe which I will prepare when we camp next week. Brrrrr...

      Delete
  5. Taste of Home has some really great recipes. I leaned on their cookbooks a lot when I was learning to cook but haven't spent much time going through their recipes lately. This sounds wonderful and definitely would be something that my husband would like too. I like you can do the prep ahead of time. I saw your comment about my comments being sent to spam and had to laugh. My blog does that too with a few people and it's so annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I was going to check out one of the cookbooks and see what I might want to try. I have oone of the magazines and like it. Oh, glad you understand about the spam comments!! I was surprised and now check it daily.

      Delete
  6. I hardly ever cook, but this looks easy enough even for me and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terrie, you'd like this one :-) Happy birthday to yuo (coming up).

      Delete
  7. this sounds very comforting. might have to wait till winter tho... merry festive season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, hope you like it when your winter comes!

      Delete
  8. There is nothing better on a cold winter day than a hearty stew- and one pan makes it even better. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, this one is a keeper. Happy Christmas!

      Delete
  9. This sounds really tasty! We tend to do beef stew too but I do have a couple of chicken casserole recipes made with chicken pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, beef stew is always welcome in cooler weather. So substantial.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........