Saturday, April 15, 2023

Gnocchi with chicken, spinach and Parmesan - a one pot meal

I made this one pot meal a few weeks ago and have been looking through all my magazines  to share the recipe.  Then I remembered my recipe notebook. Duh, how could I forget that old thing.

If I find a recipe I want to try it's handwritten in, then I give the magazine away.


 If you want to make this vegetarian you could substitute tofu or TVP for the chicken. 


Gnocchi with Chicken and Spinach

1 pound gnocchi
3 TB olive oil - divided
1 large chicken breast (I used boneless thighs)
salt and pepper
1/4 tsp each dried basil, thyme and parsley
2 TB butter
1 cup sliced mushrooms (Ha, I always use double mushrooms)
2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 cup chicken broth (vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
1/2 cup heavy cream (I used milk)
pinch of crushed red pepper
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Parmesan

Boil gnocchi 3 minutes. Drain, rinse and set aside.
Season chicken with salt, pepper and herbs. Heat 2 TB oil and brown chicken in skillet.  Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Add butter and remaining oil to skillet with mushrooms and garlic.  Saute 2 minutes, until tender.

Add gnocchi, chicken, chicken broth, cream and crushed pepper to pan.  Stir until sauce boils.   Stir in spinach until tender and wilted.

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve with garlic toast and salad.

Note: I slowly added broth/ milk sparingly as I didn’t want it too soupy. Add per your taste instead of tipping in all the liquids at once.

14 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds really, really good. I just happen to have gnocchi in the freezer ... may have to add this to a meal plan soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR, it's an easy one pot dish so winner!

      Delete
  2. Trader Joe has (sometimes) some very nice gnocchi — this would be a tempting recipe to use with it (if they still have it).

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I haven't been to TJ's store in ages but I will look for it.

      Delete
  3. I would like this, but without mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I would eat your share of the mushrooms :-)

      Delete
  4. This looks pretty good. I bet it would be popular here... ..

    ReplyDelete
  5. And then you can save the recipe on your blog so you can find it another time! Or at least that is how it works for me!

    Thanks for sharing with Weekend Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I think that was the primary reason I started the blog and it evolved. But I do use it constantly for recipes.

      Delete
  6. I am a big fan of anything with gnocchi and this sounds delicious! Though I will leave out the mushrooms. I have a recipe notebook too though mine is recipes I've made a million times that I'm tired of looking up the recipe in it's original book (or on Pinterest)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, that's the way my notebook is! I grab it instead of pulling out cookbooks or searching my blog. I like one-pot meals, so easy.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........