Wednesday, July 17, 2013

When Life Gives You Lemons…or if you purchase too many, do this!

Do you shop at Costco? Any of these large conglomerates such as Costco, Sam’s Club, etc have some very good deals. I have picked up some shirts, sneakers, movies at a very good price. The produce and grocery section also has good prices because you buy that in bulk. Sometimes, it’s just too much for a family of two. As an example, a huge bag of lemons for under $5 was a true savings but when you buy such a quantity, you better have a game plan.



I am pleased to say we only tossed one lemon out of the bunch. Like I said, you have to plan on all the amazing things you can make within the short lifespan of a lemon (or insert the fruit/veggie of choice) so you get your money’s worth.

We made Lemon Posset, recipe here from my friend Jo ( Welsh cook extraordinaire), a Lemon Roasted Chicken with Balsamic onions and Gin & Vodka Collins. Now that’s good planning!



What Not to Do with Lemon Posset

For anyone who has ever been to Dairy Queen and ordered a Blizzard you will know the consistency is so thick, as a milkshake which is almost frozen, that they actually turn the cup upside down when presenting the treat to the customer.

Lemon Posset on the other hand is nowhere near this consistency. Optimistically (or stupidly, you pick), I turn to Doug and say, “Hey, look, a Lemon Posset blizzard!” as I upended the delicate crystal glass of lemon and cream on the counter top.



My facial expression went from jovial glee to shocked horror…..yes, that big smile was wiped off very quickly.

Doug, true to form, asked what was I thinking while trying to give me his best Nelson Muntz HAha.



I deserved it. For the record, I ate it anyway…what was left. (Note to self: cream, sugar and lemon will not gel solidly)

Here is a lovely snap of the Roasted Lemon Chicken with Balsamic Onions



And last but most certainly not least, the Collins!



Strawberries are another bulk item they are selling now but I don’t seem to be able to use those all up before some go bad. Pity. Perhaps I need to learn to can fruits. If you have any ideas, I would be pleased to hear from you!

9 comments:

  1. We are getting a Sam's close by. I rue the day! But, I have been getting better about using what is on hand and utilizing everything when I do buy a lot. Two people here too. Looks like you had some great dishes. (Even the disaster looks tasty.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and that chicken have a date! SOON!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debra, I am thinking we ought to buy a vacuum sealer and then our large purchases can be frozen. Will let you know how that works.

    I would love to share this dinner with you, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't can anymore; I use the freezer instead. I make freezer jam, syrups, or just freeze the fruits whole in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Once frozen, bag them up (or vacuum) and use them throughout the winter for baking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great contributions - thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........