Thursday, April 09, 2020

Buddah's Feast - a copycat recipe from P.F. Chang

How is everyone doing with fridge foraging and trying to make tasty meals with their dwindling supplies? At times it can be challenging. I will share a method that works for our family - so far, so good.

First off I am trying to use the items in the fridge that are still fresh. In the pre-corona days it was disappointing enough to look in a crisper and find your fresh asparagus were slimy but these days.....every precious fresh resource needs to eaten before they get squidgy.

I don’t keep the fridge door open too long writing out a list of contents, rather I use my phone and dictation. Yeah, I sound like an idiot when I’m doing this but this worked for me.

Me, bent down with my phone and microphone activated, a new email ready for the list. I just call out what is in the drawers and shelves. “Asparagus, two packs, carrots, shiitake mushrooms looks a bit squidgy use soon, 1 head broccoli.....”. You get the idea. If I forget to say comma after each item its just one long string of words. Then I copy my list to a notebook and can easily check which veggies/meats/etc need to be used first. No waste.

Ok, enough of my organizational ramblings. I need to share one of the best meals we have had in a long time. It is called Buddha’s Feast and its from P.F. Chang’s copycat recipes. Doug had it ages ago when he was traveling for business and we decided to give it a whirl here. This is completely vegetarian but if you had to add chicken that would work.  It was Perfect using the tofu.  Highly recommended.

E26403EE-41EE-4D9F-8CD0-30DAAD67563F 1F87CEBF-6E79-4FFD-A598-42F73BC94595

Tofu is often an overlooked source of protein and that’s a shame. It stores for long periods of time and is easy to cook. Winner all the way around. As for the Chinese Five Spice, its so wonderful. Flavorful and aromatic.

We opened one of our precious few bottles of Beaujolais for a meal on the porch.


9AE30B02-D417-4A15-A96D-D8D6FD87D5D8


And there was enough leftover for a lunch the next day.  The recipe states it serves two but we had one dinner and a smaller portioned lunch out of it.

67D501FB-3245-4E5F-9A5B-7A7273A62F75

Here it is getting the stir fry finishing touches.

ED4096FE-D1E4-48F1-8CA3-4CCAB85AAFC2

BUDDHA'S FEAST
PF Chang's Restaurant Copycat Recipe

Makes 2 servings

1 (12 oz.) package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed, and cubed
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice seasoning
1 small head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 large bunch of asparagus, tough ends removed
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 (3 oz.) package shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
oil, for stir fry
2-4 tablespoons soy sauce, for stir fry to taste
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger paste (or sub ginger powder)
2 cups cooked brown rice

For tofu: Drain tofu and lay on a paper towel lined plate, cover with a few paper towels and add a heavy object, like a large can, on top to weigh it down and push out the extra moisture. Leave this for 20 minutes. Once the tofu is pressed and blotted dry, cube it up and place in a bowl.

Add your marinade ingredients: 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar, and 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Mix to coat the tofu, cover, and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to marinate.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spread tofu out on a lined or greased baking sheet. Sprinkle additional 1/2 teaspoon five spice powder on top. Bake for 10 minutes then stir, then bake for another 10 minutes.

For the stir fry: heat oil over medium high in a large wok or skillet. Add all the veggies, tossing and mixing to cook for a few minutes, adding more oil is necessary. Add the garlic, ginger, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce. Cook for an additional minute or two. Add more soy sauce if you would like. Add tofu, toss, then pour into a serving bowl. Serve with a bowl of brown rice.

Sharing with Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking Series

19 comments:

  1. Yum! And I love how you do the grocery listing. The produce situation is a challenge as I used to do the bulk of my shopping once every two week and then would replenish produce every few days. Needless to say that's no longer really an option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, I have some fresh veggies left and I’m trying to make the most with them. Whatever groceries we have on hand now is going to get us through 2 or maybe 3 weeks. Obviously the fresh veggies will deplete early on but we are determined to stay in.

      Delete
  2. Asian condiments and spices are really wonderful to have on hand. By dumb luck, I bought several different bottles of them just before the lockdown, and they are great for varying flavors. Your recipe sounds really delicious, and also quite adaptable. As for the aging vegetables -- I say soup!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, definitely soup! Nothing is going to waste. That’s great you grabbed those Asian spices and condiments. We plan quite a few stir fry meals.

      Hope you and yours are well!

      Delete
  3. Love your tip for listing what is in the fridge.. I'm having trouble finding things (because my small fridge is more packed than usual).. I have everything to make this recipe and it looks really appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, it’s great. Can’t wait to make it again. I need to do another dictation in my phone to double check the crisper drawers again. Not sure which orphan veggies remains. They will become soup.

      Delete
  4. I used to order Buddha's Feast quite often at P.F. Change and you have inspired me to make it at home! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I’ve never been to a P.F. Chang restaurant but I’d love to try one, one day!

      Delete
  5. We're running out of fresh produce as well - luckily I have some canned and frozen stuff. Stay safe Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carole, I will miss the fresh ingredients but I am not going out! Frozen veggies will just have to do coming up.
      Hope you are well. xo

      Delete
  6. Great use for my remaining tofu! I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia, hope you like it. Wish I had more tofu!

      Delete
  7. We might give this a go! We are always on the look out for a tasty flavour combination for stir fries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I think that 5 slice made a big difference here.

      Delete
  8. Yum! I had two blocks of tofu on hand at the start of this pantry-foraging time, but sadly they are gone now. Often, I have a forgotten block at the back of the freezer, but no, that's gone too. However, I did make a stir-fry very similar to this using my fresh asparagus and scallions before they went bad, and it was delicious!
    We've been growing our own mung bean sprouts, but it's not going to be too many more batches from now that we're going to run out of mung beans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, I try and grab tofu whenever we do go out and shop. It keeps so long and you can do so much with it. Oh, I would love to try and grow bean sprout. Had not thought of that!

      Delete
  9. I'm going to steal your dictation idea! I was so lucky to get some wine from my mom's house. We're set for a while -- if we don't squander it and I don't cook with it. We too are making sure to use every single bit of everything we bring into the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was glad to see you scored wine! Yes, I have been talking to myself and making lists, using up orphan veggies in soup. I am bringing some to your Weekend Cooking this weekend.

      Delete
  10. I have some tofu that needs using... hmmm Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........