Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Slow Cooker Spinach Mushroom Lasagna and thoughts of retirement

There are days I just want to be at home. Sit in the den and read while Aja stares and casts judgement. I'm so ready to retire and I know I need to get out of that mindset. Fact is, we need to work a few more years so we won't have a rusty retirement. I heard that term and noticed it wasn't a great situation so......yeah, a few more years ought to handle it.

  aja1

 Lately some of our meals have been fantastic. Many have been saved in my new meal planning notebook. After putting this one off for a while I finally prepared this slow cooker lasagna on the weekend. The slow cooker recipes have been calling my name but so many of them cook for only 5 to 6 hours.

 That just doesn't work when we are gone for at least 9 hours. Have you ever come home to something overcooked in a crock pot? It's awful because you planned on that being dinner.
 So, I decided I wanted to make this spinach mushroom lasagna and just planned it for a weekend. That way we had leftovers for Monday.

It was great.  Ooey, cheesy, the noddles were cooked just perfectly.

  lasagna

I'm feeling exceptionally lazy so I just took a snap of the recipe from my notebook. If we find a recipe we want to include in regular meal rotations I slide it into a plastic sleeve and add it to my growing collection. The plastic protection sleeve is great for spills, you can just wipe them off.

  lasagna-recipe



I leave you with a photo of the moon on a warm November afternoon. I couldn't get my phone out in time to capture the jet as it seemed to pass in front of the moon. sky

Hopefully everyone will enjoy Thanksgiving and will share the photos and recipes at Beth Fish Reads Weekend Cooking series.

Weekend Cooking is open to anyone who has any kind of food-related post to share: Book (novel, nonfiction) reviews, cookbook reviews, movie reviews, recipes, random thoughts, gadgets, quotations, photographs. If your post is even vaguely foodie, feel free to grab the button and link up anytime over the weekend. You do not have to post on the weekend. Please link to your specific post, not your blog's home page. For more information, see the welcome post.

15 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with "keeper" recipes and plastic sleeves. Your lasagna looks delicious... have always wanted to try it in the crockpot. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using my crock pot, and I love Lasagna so I may try this. Aja is a beautiful dog! Love the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tina, looking forward to seeing this over at Food on Friday: Pasta. Wishing you a lovely weekend. Cheers from Carole's chatter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, JoAnn, the sleeves are quite useful for all the mess I make when prepping!

    Vicki, that set dog rules this house. As it should be. This realize is good, hope you like it.

    Carole, I link d up, I liked all those pasta recipes. Mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lasagne is a great weekend dish. I managed to set up computer files for my recipes a long time ago, and have moved them from one computer or tablet to the next whenever I changed devices. One of the recipes for Thanksgiving dinner has been floating around in my computer since the 90s.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea, Mae. I usually rely on paper copies but storing them electronically is great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that sleeve idea! My to-try recipes are also in a binder, but not protected.

    The lasagna looks great. Because I work at home, I can use my crockpot during the week, but getting everything going at lunchtime. I know exactly what you mean about overcooked slow cooker meals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The lasagna looks great. Love using the slow cooker and always nice to find new recipes for it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My recipes are mostly computer files now, but I still have a big plastic box of clipped ones. My mom liked to make a similar spinach lasagna, and it was really good. I haven't made it in years.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is nothing worse than coming home to overcooked food. I am retiring in March 2017 and so looking forward to it. We are going out early, there is not enough time left otherwise......

    ReplyDelete
  11. BFR, if I worked at home, or lived closer from work, I would use the slow cooker much more. I try and make this on Sunday's so we have it for leftovers Monday. Or lunch.

    Thank you, Jama, Claudia & Melynda !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking for some new vegetarian recipes and in a slow cooker too just makes this perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have just bought a new slow cooker (and donated the older one). The new one is also a pressure cooker and it's fab. I've never thought of making lasagne in it ... one to try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Diane, we have lost so much weight eating more vegetarian meals and the meals are tasty too. This one is a good one if you don't have to be gone all day.

    Jo, I have never heard of a slow cooker and pressure cooker combo, that's brilliant. I planned to mKe butternut squash soup last night but got too late a start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't post this - the new pressure / slow cooker - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00OP26T4K/ref=twister_B01KHYRIEO?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........