Sunday, May 13, 2018

Conch Chowder for a light meal

It's getting very hot here in north Florida and so what do we have for dinner?  Hot chowder!  Why not.  It's a nice light meal after a hearty lunch so we were satisfied.  This chowder was prepared in Marathon Florida.

We were at Southern Seafood purchasiing some red fish for the grill and I happened to notice they had soups and chowders.  Our freezer has a bit of Mangrove Snapper and Cod awaiting their turn to become a milk based chowder but this tomato based conch caught my eye.

IMG_1062

Check out the large pieces of conch - this was hearty enough yet light enough for a dinner.  We had a fresh loaf of French bread I had made eralier in the day.  Also enjoyed some cheese and Chardonnay.

IMG_1064

While I can't take credit for making this chowder I think I would be willing to do so in the future.  It's packed with fresh conch, roma tomatoes, celery, potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, broth, sherry, turmeric  and a healthy dose of red pepper.  Gives it the kick that Chardonnay soothes after a few spoonfuls.

I found a recipe online that I will try next time, you can view that here is you are inspired to make some for yourself.

I'm linking up with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for her Souper Sunday series.  Click HERE to see Deb's Rosemary and White Bean soup.  Definitely a keeper.



  FullSizeRender (5)

4 comments:

  1. Conch chowder sounds amazing! I've only had it a few times, never in the US. It's probably only available where small-scale fishing boats or day boats get the conch, not from big commercial fisheries. Or am I just missing something?

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had conch chowder in Key West ages ago and really enjoyed it. This one looks delicious and you know me--I eat soup in warm weather most of the time. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mae, it's quite popular in the Florida Keys and we have had conch at St George Island up this way too. It's very good!

    Deb, so true - we can enjoy soup in any weather. This was hearty with homemade bread. I'm glad I could join in this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only had conch a couple of times and never thought of it for chowder. I never want soup during the summer but this sounds like a nice compromise.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........