Thursday, January 24, 2019

Giada's Corn Soup

I don't know about anyone else but I am continually clipping or copying new recipes I want to try.  Unfortunately that leads to an overstuffed file folder with all sorts of recipes, just waiting to get on the kitchen agenda.

To clean up my messy cookbook shelf/folders I decided I would pick one each week.  Sometimes I thumb through them and wonder why I would even want to try it.  Those get tossed.

This week I thought I would try Giada's Corn Soup.  Way back in July of last year Deb at Kahakai Kitchen made her version of this soup.  Here post may be found HERE.

  cornsoup1

This was good but I doubt I will keep the recipe.  Maybe it was timing - we had just driven back from Quincy, after some shopping, and realized we were ravenous the closer we got to home.  Nothing else was available for a quick lunch and we didn't want to avail ourselves of our only choice, the truck stop Denny's restaurant. (Not that I don't enjoy a Grand Slam now and then!)

Giada's recipe may be found on Food Network HERE.  It's basic enough so I can wing it here.

Chop a small onion or two little shallots.  Mince two garlic cloves.  Toss in a pan with a dollop of olive oil. Slice fresh corn off the cob.  Once the onions are soft add the corn.
Add salt and pepper to taste.  I also added smoked paprika and some red pepper flakes.
Add 3 cups chicken broth and let it come to a boil.  Simmer now for about 15 minutes.

When it's done add chunked pieces of tomato.  I did not have any fresh basil to place on top, make it pretty.  We had this as a quick toss together lunch with fresh bread.

Linking up with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday/  Check out her Creamy Tomato and Gnoccki Soup.  Also linking with I Heart Cooking Club for Potluck.

7 comments:

  1. Nice, simple recipe — in dire circumstances (like it’s not summer) you could probably use frozen or canned corn.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that I'm a bit meh when it comes to Giada's recipes. They always seem to be missing just a little something but that something is what always keeps me from repeating her recipes. I like corn soup and this does look like a good frame work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the ingredients and would like to try this recipe but I'd probably use frozen white corn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always saving recipes, too, and like to try new ones at least once a week... but Giada's haven't been big winners with my family. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm laughing because I am always saving recipes and like you, I save some wild recipes. Sometimes I go through them and I think, "what the hell was I thinking when I saved that?"Haha! Guess we all do it.

    I've seen this corn soup making the rounds online and it certainly looks delicious (in fact, it's on my list - ha ha) but now that you mention it, I can see how it could be lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that it wasn't a hit for you. If I remember correctly, I had to add a lot to her recipe to get it to the flavor I wanted.
    Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love a con chowder. So adding some potatoes would be just perfect for me It's especially welcoming when corn is in season.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........