Thursday, January 31, 2019

January Update
{watching, reading, creating and listenng}


📢     My first update post for 2019.   ðŸ“£

This year I set some goals to get back to my monthly update, participate more frequently with Souper Sunday and Wordless Wednesday.  So far I am doing well, such as it is in the new year when I stay on top of things.  It's chilly here for Florida with freezing temperatures plaguing us right now.  So much for eating outside again for awhile.  Considering what others are dealing with this winter I'm not complaining.  Our son woke up to minus 14 one morning! Yikes.

Watching
A Simple Favor with Blake Lively (eh, it was ok)
The House with a Clock in the Wall (it wasn't good)
Alpha (we liked it - completely subtitled)
The Magnificent Seven - the original version with Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen.

We also are enjoying one of the Great Courses lecture series about Hubble. Dr. David Meyer is the presenter and he does a wonderful job explaining in plain terms.  Dr. Meyer is a professor of physics and astronomy at Northwestern University and we are very much enjoying his lectures.  This one has two disks and 12 lectures. Over the last 25+ years my amateur astronomer husband has talked about some of the astronomical wonders presented in this series.  It's quite cool to see the images and explanations in this series.

This has been so informative and enjoyable that I hope to find more of these lecture series DVDs at our library.  Check out the Great Courses HERE.


hubble


Reading
The Flight of Gemma Hardy by Margot Livesey
Scrublands by Chris Hammer
Into the Night by Sarah Bailey (book 2 in the DS Gemma Woodstock series)
The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian
Almost finished with Turbulance by David Szalay.

gemmascrublands

February Plans: We have a camping trip planned in Fargo, Georgia. It's a designated dark sky sight so Doug will bring a telescope and/or night vision. Hoping it's clear as we've had so much rain. It certainly would be nice to see some clear skies and stars!

Creating/ Still crocheting, working on a blanket for my granddaughter who will turn 5 in February. I've been using the Bella Coco crochet videos when I need help with directions.

Listening and Sipping/ We procured an orphan barrel bourbon called Rheteric.  Also found the lately scarce bourbon Blanton's and are well pleased with that. Musical choices have ranged from The Earls of Leicester and Alison Krauss, David Gilmore, B.B. King and Eric Clapton.


That's it for now. End of January, over and out!

3 comments:

  1. It's been so cold where I live too and I'm so over it! But then I'll be complaining about the humidity when summer hits. I haven't read or watched any of the books/movies you listed. I love Alison Krauss! I want to go camping but am having a hard time convincing my kids and grandkids.

    I like the idea of a monthly update post and after reading this I'm thinking of changing my Sunday Reflections to monthly instead of weekly.

    I hope you have a great weekend Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki! I used to do sporadic updates but I decided I would do a monthly one, add to it in draft form and hit publish at the end of the month.

    Alison Krauss has a crystal voice, doesn't she? She's a top notch fiddler too.
    And, we have a RV now so no camping in tents for us :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that's too bad about A Simple Favor and The House With a Clock in Its Walls. Both were on my To Watch list. Have you read A Simple Favor? It wasn't my favorite but I enjoyed it. My husband and I have been talking about taking one of the Great Courses classes but between my illness and him traveling for work we haven't made it happen. I need to check and see if the library has it. That could be fun and risk free.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........