Thursday, December 10, 2020

Stovetop Chicken Thighs & Fire Night

Fifteen days until Christmas, 70 degrees here at 2 in the afternoon and I've just been run inside by mosquitoes from the sunny patio. It's so nice to sit outside and watch the birds and read but as soon as it gets a bit warm the mosquitoes are out in force.  

What's been going on here is nothing.  No big changes and that's fine.  I like quiet. We had a great fire two nights ago;  it was 43 F/6 C when we headed out and the fire lasted almost two hours.  Probably in the 30's by the time we wobbled in.  Dreaming Tree Crush for me and Elijah Craig bourbon for Doug. A bit of chocolate, good conversation and a roaring fire make for a fun and tipsy evening.

Here's a snap of the fire and the house. See the moon?


I have a recipe I want to share it's so easy and delicious. We had some boneless skinless chicken thighs in the freezer and I needed something quick for dinner one evening.  Usually I like a fricassee  but I neded something quicker.  Plus we didn't have mushrooms. This recipe, simple as it is, was just the ticket.

I ought to have gotten a photo of it while it was cooking as it was very pretty and appetizing. The aroma of the chicken cooking is great and you are instantly hungry.

The accompaniments were green beans, roasted corn, brothy short grain rice and ciabatta bread.  We like this meal so much that we will try and not have it oo often so we don't get tired of it.


Have you ever done that?  We did with a spinach, egg and cream cheese dish a long time ago - had it so much we can't stand the thought of it now and it was so good!  Moderation......... 

Stovetop Chicken Thighs

1  1/2 pounds chicken highs, skinless and boneless

1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/2 teaspoon each of onion powder, garlic powder and chili powder

salt and pepper to taste

minced garlic (I used 3 fat cloves)

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 cup white wine or broth

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  

Season the chicken with the onion, garlic and chili powders.  Add salt and pepper to your liking. NOTE: I used closer to a teaspoon each on the pwders. 

 Add the seasoned chicken to the hot oil in the pan; cook 5 minutes or until you can easily flip chicken over.

Continue to cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until no longer pink.  Add butter and minced garlic; cook about 1 minute until fragrant.  Add broth/wine, stir and scrape up crispy bits on bottom of pan.

Serve with rice or potatoes and veggies. You'll want to put some of that buttery juice over the rice.  Just sayin'


Sharing with Marg for Weekend Cooking



  

16 comments:

  1. My favorite meat is chicken and I'm always looking for new recipes. I'll give this a try.

    It's been cold here the last few mornings. Yesterday morning we had a freeze warning and there was ice on my car when I went to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, me too. I love chicken, it's so versatile. We have had ups and downs with the temps. Frozen birdbath in the morning and then it gets up oin the 70's. Weird.

      Delete
  2. I can almost smell it! I'm glad your life has been uneventful for a change. Your evening looks so cozy. I hope you get many more like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy! It's nice to have some quiet. We sure love fire night.

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was a perfect night for a fire. Our tree canopy is so low that we couldn't use a fire pit -- when we tried, we burned some of the leaves! In any case it's nothing near 70ยบ here, barely that warm in the house.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, that would be alarming to have the leaves and branches start burning. We had to buy a new fire pit as our old one started getting holes and bits of burning material would come through.
      I remember growing up we kept the house cooler and I was always told to put something else on if I got chilly.

      Delete
  4. I don't eat chicken as an adult but when I was young my mom frequently made chicken fricassee.My kids got two heater lamps that run on kerosene and they seem to make the covered deck comfortable even in 40 degree weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, I have gone on and off being vegetarian over the last 40 years or so. Right now it's chicken time :-) Yes, a heater helps when it's very cold outside and we do love sitting out for dinner and drinks.

      Delete
  5. Loving evening! I love that Crush wine -- I'll have to pick up another bottle next time at the store. (We can't curbside or deliver wine here in backwards PA!) We have a fire pit but kind of forget to use it. I know, I know. The dinner looks and sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dave Matthews lable has had a special going at our liquor stores for a while. $6 off three bottles. A deal!

      Delete
  6. Thighs are my favorite, and what a delicious way to cook them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We just finished a bottle of Elijah Craig bourbon! First time buying it and really liked it. Has he tried Virginia Black?
    Love chicken thighs so nice to see another recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, will have to look for the Virginia Black. Hadn't heard of it before.

      Delete
  8. Yum! My husband absolutely refuses to eat chicken thighs which is too bad because it's one of my favorites. Hate mosquitos! I actually have a weird reaction to them and swell up like a balloon when I get bitten. Not a fan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, the thighs are my favorite although I know a lot of people love white meat chicken. I always find it too dry.

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........