Thursday, May 20, 2021

Baked Gnocchi and veggies

I'm reminiscing about this meal when I  still had an oven.  We had it 2 weeks ago but I didn't get chance to post it and share. It's a meal you can put together using pantry items.

Gnocchi is  certainly a great pantry item to have on hand. So many things you can do with it from soup to serving with pasta sauce to baking.  Yes, baking.  I'd never thought to bake it until I read a recipe from Joanne at Eats Well with Others.



If you have a large sheet pan with tall sides this will work a charm.


Joanne didn't add chicken but I did.  Cause I love chicken :-)


Here is the end result with leftovers tossed in a casserole dish with a cover.  Perfect for reheating the next evening, or for lunch.


The verdict on this dish is middle of the road. I think I ought to have baked this longer so the gnocchi would have been crunchier. Also, using whole cherry or grape tomatoes wasn’t great & I need to half them next time. The tomatoes are good roasted but a pain to eat when they are whole.  Otherwise, great meal where you can asparagus or green beans or whatever you fancy.   I would try this again with  alonger cooking time.

This recipe is from Joanne Eats Well With Others  so please click on her link here for original recipe. 

Sharing with Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking.




11 comments:

  1. You have a lot of reservations about this recipe -- maybe it would be better to find another one? I agree that gnocchi are a good pantry staple.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I posted this because I learned what I’d like to change out from the original recipe. I always learn something with a new recipe 😄I would certainly have it again by halving the tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. I've learned the same thing about adding small tomatoes to sheet pan suppers -- halving them is better. I have some gnocchi in the freezer -- and chicken. I may *have* to add this to next week's meal plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR, I learned the hard way! I frequently bake chicken thighs with halved cherry tomatoes & that’s a good meal.

      Delete
  3. Hate having those whole tomatoes pop when eating!
    For some reason, probably because we have never had a good one, neither of us like gnocchi.
    Although recently I did see someone make it on a TV show and it did look good. I even mentioned it to John, who made a face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, we have had good luck with the gnocchi we have purchased, maybe I’ve been lucky!

      Delete
  4. Gnocchi is a favorite around here (we often make our own when we have leftover mashed potatoes) and I will have to give this a try, thanks Tina.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gnocchi though I've never thought of baking it! I will definitely have to try it. I can see where halving the cherry tomatoes. I love roasted tomatoes but agree they're such a pain to eat whole. I'll definitely give that a try! When I'm feeling really indulgent I'll make gnocchi and sprinkle it with gorgonza and a balsamic reduction glaze. This is probably way healthier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, it was good but I think I like your version better. Gorgonzola and balsamic sound amazing.

      Delete
  6. Roasted cherry tomatoes are one of my favourite things to eat, and i do like it when one pops in your mouth, unless it is too hot of course.

    I find gnocchi a little stodgy. Maybe I just haven't had really good gnocchi yet!

    I know you have reservations but it looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........