Thursday, September 09, 2021

Peach Crisp
{Adapted from a Mark Bittman recipe}

If you crave a dessert then this is one of the healthier versions you may prepare quickly. 
 A simple peach crisp.


The theme this week at I Heart Cooking Club is Holding on to Summer. This brought to mind visions of summer fruits used in desserts, grilled shrimp or a cooling cocktail. 
Obviously the dessert won out.  Mostly because I had the peaches and it's so quick to prepare.



Peach Crisp
Adapted from a Mark Bittman recipe

* 2+ cups fresh or canned peaches
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1 teaspoon cornstarch
* 1-1/2 teaspoons water
* 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
* 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 cup cold butter
* Vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip

Directions:

Place peaches
 in a greased 1-qt. baking dish.

In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, water and lemon juice until smooth. Pour over berries. Combine the oats, flour, brown sugar and cinnamon; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit.

Note: I didn't have any quick cooking oats on hand, you know that huge box with the Quaker Oats man on it?  But I did have packets of instant oatmeal in the pantry and one of those equals a 1/2 cup.  I used the cinnamon flavor.  It worked just fine.

Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Serve warm with ice cream or, in our case, Cool Whip.

Sharing with








20 comments:

  1. I'd like to try this with canned apples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I was just say this would be great with apples!

      Delete
  2. Peach crisp is one of my favorite dishes, but always with the fresh seasonal peaches that are so rarely available. We did have it once this year -- I tried a recipe with maple syrup added to the flavors, which was very good. We seem to eat much larger portions!!

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I would love to use fresh peaches but they have been awful this year. Definitely trying maple syrup next time!

      Delete
  3. I've been meaning to make a peach dessert and I have all these ingredients except some ice cream. Thanks, Tina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, it's so quick to prepare and we have already eaten all of it!

      Delete
  4. My daughter's boyfriend is a huge peach fan, so I'll keep this recipe to try when he's around and we have fresh peaches. We all love apple crisp, too, and will make it that way this fall. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I am always happy to share a quick recipe whihc, I would think, would make anyone happy! Fresh peaches would be good but we haven't had much luck this year. Even the Georgia peaches were duds.

      Delete
  5. I've been wanting to make a crisp, and this sounds like it would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it's a fairly healthy dessert considering some of the other options :-)

      Delete
  6. Smart thinking using the packets of oats we have a ton of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I wasn't sure that would work but it did!

      Delete
  7. I love fruit crisps! I never got around to a peach one this year, but hello, apple season!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR, absolutely yes to apples. I may do that next. Just put brownines in the oven though :-)

      Delete
  8. I have some peaches in the cupboard and this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love peach cobblers but they're a pain and no one here eats them but me but this sounds like the perfect compromise. It sounds easy enough and oh so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katherine, what about a different fruit for a crisp/cobbler?! Well then this one is for you because it doesn't make a ton of it and you can enjoy several servings!

      Delete
  10. Oh, that looks so good, Tina! Peaches are my ultimate favorite fruit and I'd just love to take a bite of that (who am I kidding...I want the whole bowl).

    I think the crisp is healthy. I'm convinced. I think it's even ok to eat for breakfast, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, we ate it all in two nights! Heck yeah, it’s heathy for bread cause it’s fruit!

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........