Tuesday, March 01, 2022

Chicken Lemon Orzo Soup

The news of the world..... I'm hating what is going on in Ukraine and wish I could make vat after vat of this nourishing soup to help feed those in need. 


This soup is an adaption of an Ina Garten recipe which only distantly resembles the original recipe.  This is more of a third cousin to Ina's roast lemon chicken with orzo.  That recipe may be found HERE.


I basically used all the ingredients except the asparagus and the chicken quarters and instead of plating it, a bowl is used.  No knives needed here.


Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup

2 TB butter or olive oil
1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 cup orzo
roughly 3 containers of  broth (vegetable or chicken)
2 cups chunked boneless chicken thighs
1 cup of peas (I used frozen)
a handfull fresh dill, chopped
1 TB parsley
juice of 1 lemon
sour cream (optional)

If you are using the chicken chunks saute the pieces for a few minutes then set aside. Next saute the carrots, garlic and onions in olive oil or butter.  Add orzo and stir around, coating it with the oil.  
Add the broth, parsley, dill and salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze in the lemon juice.
Keep stirring  and add the chicken back into the broth. Add peas.

When it's the consistancy you like you may serve with a dollop of sour cream on top.  I added a few tablespoons of  sour cream to the soup beforehand, mixing it all together.

As this is an adaption of the roast chicken dinner. You may make other changes such as substitute white beans for the chicken if you want to make it vegetarian.


Sharing with

I Heart Cooking Club

Deb at Kahakai Kitchen for Souper Sunday

Marg at The Intrepid Reader for Weekend Cooking









 


11 comments:

  1. That soup looks so good, may make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there were some Greek restaurants here that used to make really good soup sort of like this. I love the lemon and chicken combo.

    best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, I am a fan of anything with lemon. Dessert or main meals.

      Delete
  3. I think we call orzo risoni. We like a bacon and vegetable soup which has risoni in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marg, I didn't know that. Orzo is a bit similar to rice in texture (to me). Love a vegetable soup!

      Delete
  4. Lemon Orzo Soup is my favorite soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Di - oh you ought to try this one! It's filling and flavorful.

      Delete
  5. I agree, Tina. It is just so so sad. Everything is so sad everywhere. I feel like every time I turn around it is nothing but sad. Tina's soup for world peace! Hey, it can't hurt, right? A bowl full of lemon orzo for everyone.

    Looks so good. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, if only that would work! This is an easy one with big return on flavor :-)

      Delete
  6. Your soup looks restorative, comforting and delicious. It's finally up in the Souper Sundays round up--sorry for being flaky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, you’re anything but flaky! I totally get being busy with work so hang in there. Thanks for hosting 😁

      Delete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........