Tuesday, March 08, 2022

In my kitchen - wine, vegetarian fare and herbs

I'm joining in with folks around the world for Sherry's In My Kitchen monthly event. I'll just get right to it and take a break from Twitter and all the news going on these days. Today I have some wine and a few vegetarian meals.

 We have a nice heavy bodied Penfolds Shiraz Cabernet which we took on our last camp trip. The temperatures ramped up and ended up much hotter than anticipated.  Wish I had brought more Chablis or Rosé.


On the camp trip we utilized the outside kitchen to make Ramen Noodles with loads of red bell pepper, water chestnuts, onions, scallions and a little bit of chicken.

Also I want to share a link HERE for the post about Mary McCartney's cookbook titled Food.  We made a good Hotpot which is vegetarian, easy to prepare and very delicious.


Fresh sage was procured and I think it's high time I started a herb garden at home.  I had one years ago and it was a pleasure to pick fresh oregano and basil.  Not sure why I haven't made another garden - other than laziness.


Sage, fresh garlic and a favored Dijon mustard for a recipe.


I should have gotten a photo of the finished product but I was hungry :-)  This is the best meal using leftovers and if you have a bit of rice, that's the base.


This time I sauted an onion and a few leftover cherry tomatoes.  Add leftover rice and mix.  Add an undrained can of beans (I used black beans but you could use red or whatever you like).  

Once this starts warming up create a little space in the mixture, push it aside with a spatula.  Crack a few eggs into the mixture and allow them to cook.
I sprinkled cheddar cheese over the mix and eventually broke the egg yolks and let it all blend.

Other times I have used rice and red beans, leftover green beans, onions and peppers.  It's different everytime and you get a healthy meal from orphan veggies and leftover rice.

Sharing with Sherry's Pickings for In My Kitchen and Marg for Weekend Cooking.




26 comments:

  1. Growing sage (I think) is easier than the other herbs! All your dishes look great, and it must be really fun to make them when camping.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae, Doug grills most meals but we always have something to make on the campstove. It's nice cooking outside.

      Delete
  2. All the recipes look good especially the Ramen Noodles. I love Ramen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, Ramen is so versatile for cooking, we add different veggies all the time.

      Delete
  3. The Ramen Noodles look so good. I might have to make that for dinner one night this week. I have sage growing in my herb garden but rarely use it. The mint, basil and parsley get used more often. Hope you plant a new herb garden and get much use out of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tandy, I very much want to and wish I’d gotten my soul and herbs yesterday. It’s raining today so that would be a good start .

      Delete
  4. Oh how I love herbs! I have oregano, mint, basil, spring onions and chillies... I used to have the brownest thumbs on the planet but covid has changed all that. Once I got started, I couldn't stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DoS - I plan to rectify the herb garden situtaion this month and hope to have good photos to share for next month's IMK.

      Delete
  5. thanks for joining us Tina. nice to see you for IMK. sage? now there's a herb i know little about. i gave up growing herbs due to possums and scrub turkeys and tiny black grubs :-) maybe i can buy one of those water trays where you throw in seeds on wet cotton wool? tee hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherry, I had better luck with herbs than vegetables as we have garden pests that eat everything. I would love a big garden again.

      Delete
  6. Maille is the best Dijon in the world! I love you camp cooking. I always forgot about linking up with Weekend Cooking. Thanks for the reminder. (I'm ready for Chablis weather!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, my favorite Chablis hasn't been available lately but when I find it I'm getting severals bottles!

      Delete
  7. I also replied to your green house question. It's a great place to overwinter herbs however my sage an tarragon overwinters here outside. (I think I have also accidentally developed a hearty cilantro!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I did see your comment and responded on your site. I very much appreciate the advice!

      Delete
  8. Almost all herbs are easy to grow. I used to have a dedicated herb garden in which I grew over 60 types. Very satisfying, pretty, and easy. After we moved (years ago), I planted only a few herbs. Sage will last all year in the garden, even up here in PA. But it also does beautifully as an annual in a pot on the deck. You might be able to keep rosemary all year where you are, but it's hearty to only about 32 degrees, so I grow it as an annual. Oregano & thyme will keep in the garden. Basil and cilantro are annuals, but do fine on a windowsill. Don't get me started on herb gardens ... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BFR - I love the inof you gave me! Today it's a howling 20+ MPH wind with a hard freeze set for tonight. I want to get the herbs going but it's obviously not the day. My SIL in Tampa has a huge rosemary bush growing in their yard but they get way more hot weather and sunshine.

      Delete
  9. I grow an herb garden that thrives in spring, summer, and fall. I frequently grow sage as well as thyme, mint, basil, and rosemary. Very easy to grow in pots on my deck. I love the look of all your vegetarian recipes. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a great herb garden when we were in a house. I try every summer, but our balcony tends to get too hot.
    I am always buying cilantro because I love it but then end up throwing it out. I had fresh basil on pizza this week and it was so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I just made a basil goat cheese risotto and wish I'd had fresh basil. It gets so hot here I will need to plan the garden location so the herbs get a bit of shade and respite from the sun.

      Delete
  11. Everything looks delicious. I love the sliced potatoes as a top crust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melynda, the potato topper is the best!

      Delete
    2. Melynda, the potato topper is the best!

      Delete
    3. Melynda, the potato topper is the best!

      Delete
  12. That dish is a great way to use leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........