Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Yesterday, Christmas Eve day, Doug and I had the most relaxing and fun time. He rode down highway 98 and we went through Panacea and all along the coast. We rode for 185 miles and the scenery was magnificent. Right along the water line were many houses, most on stilts - as if that actually helps during a storm surge, and many of them were for sale. Gorgeous and expensive beach homes sitting vacant. We saw acres and acres of tall skinny pine trees lining both sides of the rode between Medart and Carabelle; we saw fat pelicans and many gulls skimming the water near Angelo's Seafood restaurant; rode over a bridge that made you feel like you were flying above the blue gulf waters; saw boats bouncing about from their tethered ports on weathered wooden docks; had fun.

We only saw a few cars and a couple of motorcycles. But we didn't see that many people around the homes on the shoreline either and it was very quiet. Like a ghost town. After riding for a few hours we stopped at an old, old gas station that made you feel you'd hopped through a time portal to the 1950s. The gas pumps were very old and had dials on them I wish I'd gotten a picture of the place. We sat out front, sipping ginger ale and seven up, eating orange peanut butter crackers and hot tornadoes. Christmas eve at 3:30 in the afternoon, 65 degrees, sitting outside on bench next to my hubby with nary a soul or car in sight. I honestly couldn't think of any other place I'd rather have been at that moment. It was pure contentment.

This is Tristan's first Christmas away from us and I miss him. But I spoke with him he is having a good time in Indiana. It was 27 degrees when I called last night and I could hear him crunching around on the ice. Santa will have visited by the time he gets back so there will be a few surprises.

Dinner last night was fresh pasta tossed with a mixture of olive oil, thinly sliced mushrooms, minced garlic, thyme, parsley and the juice of freshly squeezed lemon. That went very well with Alice White chardonnay, French bread and butter followed by pumpkin pie.

Christmas day - we slept in, opened gifts and volunteered at Annie's Place in Tallahassee. Just serving food up to folks who either don't have any food, homeless or just want a meal. The woman that organizes this event is amazingly organized and obviously good hearted. I think we may do it next year too.

I hope everyone had a wonderful and safe Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........