Monday, December 02, 2013

Thanksgiving is over.........

Thanksgiving is over and I have to say, we didn't get near enough time to visit with our family from Tampa. We have to rectify that and visit them one of these days. But we keep saying that......and I really do want to go.

Thanksgiving dinner consisted of a smoked turkey, fruit salad, stuffing or dressing, yam casserole, cranberries, rolls and green bean casserole. The usual fare at most celebrations. I usually make the green bean dish because...well, there isn't a good reason other than I have have been bringing it for years. Plus, all seem to like it so....why not.

Here is a sideways photo of this year's casserole.



The green bean casserole has been the butt of Thanksgiving jokes for many years. Comedians make fun of it, chefs laugh at it, and overall has had a reputation akin to the Christmas fruitcake. (I love fruitcake by the way) It doesn't have to bad though!

Every year I mix it up and this year's offering had applewood smoked bacon, french cut and regular fat green beans, mushrooms, Marsala and cheddar cheese. It was great!

As a matter of fact, it deserves another closeup so you can see the texture and hunks of bacon.......



With the remaining beans, because I always steam too many, I sauteed those with bacon and caramelized onions. Ah yes....those went down a treat. Served with roasted potatoes and you have yourself a meal right there.



My sister-in-law Barb sent me a wonderful recipe (which I will be trying soon)- Scalloped Sweet Potato Stacks. How amazing will that be?! I can't wait to try those. You'll see photos...soon.

Overall, while I enjoy the food and a little bit of visiting I am happy it's over until next year. The traffic is horrendous and the stores are crazy busy. Next year we will have a small granddaughter joining the clan so I am hopeful we can make it up to Ft Stewart to visit our son and family. We'll see....that's a year away.

For those of you who partake in this celebration I hope you all had a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving.

One more bean shot....

3 comments:

  1. That is not your grandmother's green bean casserole! Looks delicious. Happy belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never enough time to visit family... and yet, we wouldn't want to see them every day. (or perhaps you do.)

    We had a green bean casserole too, next time I'm adding bacon and cheese. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Debra.

    C'mon Debbie, get a plateful!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........